Monday, May 12, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday May 18, 2008

BLENDED WORSHIP - 9:30am

"Jesus, Draw me Close"

Story behind the song:
You're not happy when they arrive. They are certainly NOT welcome. The sooner they're gone, the better. We all have them. No, I'm not talking about the obnoxious relative, or that certain "difficult" person at work, but the trials that seem to invade our lives at the least opportune moment... The bad day... The tough week at work... The year you'd just as soon erase from your life... Or those times of loss, which are annoying at best, and tragic at worst... when you lose your car keys... or your job... or a close friend ... or member of the family.
It was during one of “those” weeks, that the song, "JESUS DRAW ME CLOSE" was born. The flu was going around, everybody was suffering with it, and I had been blessed with a "double portion". The car had decided to self-destruct, activities at work were busier than normal, expectations were high, energy and inspiration were low... I was not having a good week. I sat in my office, in an old and ugly, but very comfortable stuffed chair. (a cherished garage sale aquisition.) Nestled in my favorite "reading space", with Alka-Seltzer fizzing in the glass nearby and my Bible, I picked up where I had left off in the Book of Psalms....
Psalm 42
"As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, 'Where is your God?'These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go with the multitude, leading the procession to the house of God, with shouts of joy and thanksgiving among the festive throng. Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God....
By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me-- a prayer to the God of my life."


It was perfect. Just what I needed. The Lord, in His quiet and gentle way, was reminding me once again, that in this world of constantly changing circumstances, there is a place in the presence of the unchanging God, where I can go at any time. A little further pursuit in the short concordance at the back of my Bible, directed me to other reassurances of how close God was to me at that very moment; and the ease with which I could draw near to Him...
Psalm 145:18
"The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth."
Isaiah 55:6
"Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near."
Psalm 73:28
"But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds."
The profound simplicity of this truth prompted a simple and honest prayer;
"JESUS, DRAW ME CLOSE... CLOSER LORD, TO YOU. LET THE WORLD AROUND ME FADE AWAY."
... Picking up my guitar, I put the prayer to an equally simple melody, and concluded with;
"..... FOR I DESIRE TO WORSHIP, AND OBEY."
At the Bible Study that evening, the little musical prayer seemed to strike a resonant chord in the hearts of the people. They quickly picked up the melody, and proceeded to make the prayer their own.

Jesus draw me close;Closer,
Lord, to You.Let the world around me fade away.
Jesus, draw me close;Closer, Lord, to You.
For I desire to worship and obey.

Click here to sing through the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5rccHhAE_M

Click here to learn more about Rick Founds:
www.rickfounds.com



"He Keeps me singing"
A Methodist preacher by the name of Luther Bridges, was born in 1884, he married Sarah Veatch and three lovely sons were born of their union. Pastor Bridges accepted an invitation to minister at a conference in Kentucky in the year 1910, so he left his family in the care of his father-in-law and made the trip to Kentucky. There, two wonderful weeks of ministry resulted. The last service closed with great joy and he was excited to be called to the telephone. He couldn't wait to tell his wife about all the blessings. But it wasn't her voice on that long distance line. He listened in silence to the news that a fire had burned down the house of his father-in-law and his wife and all three of his sons had died in the blaze. That distraught father leaned heavily on His Savior and expressed his faith in God during a tearful moment by penning these words:
"There's within my heart a melody
Jesus whispers sweet and low,
Fear not, I am with thee, peace, be still,
In all of lifes ebb and flow."

Click here to listen to a quartet arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQ4RbfF4jM

Click here for a recording of the song:
http://my.homewithgod.com/heavenlymidis/hekeepsmesinging.mid

Click here for a ragtime piano version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiJrzRg17l4

“Shout to the Lord”

Darlene Zschech is the worship pastor of Hillsong Church, in Sydney, Australia (an Assemblies of God church), taking over from Geoff Bullock. As worship pastor, she oversees the Worship & Creative Arts Department at Hillsong Church at the Hills and City congregations. Darlene leads worship most weeks for the Hillsong Television programme (the official website says that the programme reaches 125 countries around the globe). Hillsong made global headlines when their 2004 live CD release, For All You've Done reached number one in the Australian secular music charts.
Zschech was a child star of an Australian television series titled Happy Go 'Round. She was traumatised at 13 when her parents divorced and a custody battle ensued. At 14, Zschech suffered from bulimia. A year later, as a young adult, she sang jingles for a number of international companies including McDonald's, KFC and Diet Coke. Currently, she and husband Mark Zschech have three daughters, Amy, Chloe, and Zoe Jewel.
Zschech's best known song is Shout to the Lord, sung by an estimated 25–30 million churchgoers every week . Darlene composed the praise anthem (based on Psalm 96) at the time that she was feeling discouraged. "I felt I could either scream and pull my hair out — or praise God" she said. This song is the title track for the first live album co-produced with Integrity Music featuring Darlene as a prominent female worship leader. Shout to the Lord was nominated as 'Album of the year' for the 1997 Dove Awards and 'Song of the Year' for the 1998 Dove Awards. It has been recorded on over 20 different albums. In 2000, Darlene received a Dove Award nomination for 'Songwriter of the year' and has received the 'International Award' from GMA (Gospel Music Assoc USA)
In 2003, Zschech released her debut solo album entitled Kiss of Heaven. This was followed by her 2005 album, Change Your World. In addition to writing songs, Zschech has written two books: Extravagant Worship (2001) and The Kiss of Heaven (2003). Darlene Zschech and her husband Mark are executive directors of Mercy Ministries, which runs a residential program to helping young women struggling with eating disorders,unplanned pregnancy and other life controlling disorders. Zschech has been involved in Hope Rwanda and is an advocate for Compassion Australia. Her husband Mark is CEO of The Grove Studios, a Sydney recording studio.

Click here to learn more about Darlene:
www.darlenezschech.com

Click here to visit Darlene’s myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=32111098

Click here for the many recordings of “Shout to the Lord” listed first is the recording on American Idol – gives back:
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shout+to+the+lord+&search_type

CONTEMPORARY WORSHIP 11:00am

“For all You’ve Done”

This song is by Reuben Morgan.

Reuben Morgan on men worshipping:People are more passionate than ever, Morgan observes. I think God's stirring the church. For the most part, churches are singing the same songs no matter where you go, which is pretty incredible. Even in countries that don't speak English, they're still singing the same songs. As a strong male leader, Morgan is particularly interested in seeing the men of the church take more risks in their outward expressions of faith. I think a really good model for men and worship is David, Morgan says. Men can be a little more reserved when it comes to expressing their feelings and really being passionate. But I think there's health in a guy really learning how to do that in the right way. I think the Bible is clear on what are appropriate ways to express our love for God passionately. My personal feeling is that lifting our hands, shouting and all of that is a way of connecting with God. They're expressions, and they can be healthy in our growth.

Click here to read more about Reuben Morgan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuben_Morgan

My Savior, Redeemer Lifted me from the miry clay
Almighty forever I will never be the same
‘Cause You came near From the everlasting
To the world we live The Father’s only Son
You lived and You died You rose again on high
You opened the way For the world to live again
Hallelujah For all You’ve done
Hallelujah For all You’ve done

Click here to worship along with the Hillsongs on the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrxyIQQR7uY

Click here to worship along with the Lakewood Church in Houston:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cZ5SmlXMc&feature=related

“Unchanging”

Chris Tomlin wrote this song about how our Lord never changes. Our response to His faithfulness and sovereignty is worship.

Click here to learn more about Chris’ ministry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tomlin#Biography

Click here to visit Chris’ website:
www.christomlin.com

Click here to visit Chris’ myspace:
www.myspace.com/christomlin

Click here to worship along with Chris Tomlin:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLhB99vnkp8

Click here to worship along with Chris Tomlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrGbVmfOw1A

Here are the lyrics:

Great is Your faithfulness
Great is Your faithfulness
You never changeYou never fail,
O GodTrue are Your promisesTrue are Your promises
You never changeYou never fail, O God
So we raise up holy hands
To praise the Holy One
Who was and is and is to come
Wide is Your love and grace
Wide is Your love and grace
You never change
You never fail, O God
You were, You are
You will always be


"Majesty"

This song from Delirious? It is the expression of a heart humbled by the love shown in the sacrifice, grace and majesty of our God. The song was written by Martin Smith & Stuart Garrard.

Martin James Smith (born 6 July 1970) is the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, and main songwriter of the English Christian rock and worship band Delirious? He is generally considered to be one of the foremost songwriters in modern Christian worship music, along with people like Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, and David Crowder. He co-wrote three songs on Michael W. Smith's album Healing Rain and is going to be collaborating with Michael W. Smith on his upcoming album. Martin also co-wrote two songs on Matt Redman's album Beautiful News (" Take it to the streets" and "All over the World"). Some of the most recognised songs by Delirious? include "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever", "History Maker", "My Glorious", "Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble", "Shout To The North", "Deeper", "Majesty (Here I Am)", and "What A Friend I've Found". In 1995, Martin was involved in a near-fatal car accident, and during the weeks of his recovery, he decided to become a full-time musician. He wrote the 'King Of Fools' song 'August 30th' based on this experience. Smith was one of the founding members of Delirious? along with Stewart Smith (no relation) and Tim Jupp, when they formed the band under The Cutting Edge.

Stuart Garrard is a guitarist who has developed his own unique style of playing, which has become known to some people, although probably not many, as 'octave distortion'. He also writes music and lyrics, and sings backing vocals and occasionally lead vocals. He is instantly recognisable as a result of his bald head and goatee beard. He is the oldest member of the band "Delirious".

Here I am humbled by your Majesty
Covered by your grace so free
Here I am, knowing I'm a sinful man
Covered by the blood of the Lamb
Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Majesty, Majesty Your grace has found me just as I am
Empty handed, but alive in your hands
Majesty, MajestyForever I am changed by your love
In the presence of your Majesty
Here I am humbled by the love that you give
Forgiven so that I can forgive
Here I stand, knowing that I'm your desire
Sanctified by glory and fire
Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice


Click here to worship along with Delirious
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjH8QDpBFY

Click here to visit their myspace:
www.myspace.com/delirious

“Breathe”

A friend's suicide had left her reeling, but out of Marie Barnett's desperate need for God came a worship classic sung around the world. Marie Barnett didn't consider herself a worship songwriter, although she had led worship with her husband John for years and wrote her own compositions during her personal worship time. John was the writer, penning what Barnett terms "tons" of worship music through the years (including "Holy and Anointed One"). "He's the worship writer," she explains, adding "I never sat down and wrote thinking, This could be sung in a congregation. It was more between me and the Lord in my bedroom with the door locked." But that all changed during a Sunday evening service at the Mission Viejo Vineyard in Southern California. The Barnetts were leading worship as they had done hundreds of times before, and words to what would become the worship song "Breathe" just spontaneously came out. " We had been singing 'Isn't He' by John Wimber," Barnett recalls, "and my husband continued to play. I was so enthralled with Jesus at that moment, thinking I could never live, I could never even take a breath if I didn't have a word from Him every day. And so I heard those words-'this is the air I breathe, this is my daily bread'-and I started singing them."
Before she knew it, the congregation had joined her. Still, it wasn't as if Barnett left that night convinced she has a worship hit on her hands. There had been other spontaneous songs, but she soon realized "Breathe" was different. "People would come up to me at the grocery store and say, 'You know what we were singing on Sunday night? I've been singing it all week.'"
So they began to sing the song regularly in church and it continued to elicit a strong response, bringing many to tears. Barnett says even now she can hardly get through it. "I think the word 'desperate' digs deep into me," she says by way of explanation. "The longer I'm a Christian, the more desperate I am for God."
Not to mention Barnett was feeling particularly desperate around the time the words for "Breathe" came to her. A dance teacher by day, Barnett's boss of 10 years had recently taken his own life, leaving behind a note asking her to take over the dance studio. "He was very depressed and had just gone through a divorce and was on all kinds of weird medications and into New Age thinking," she recalls of the tragic incident. "He even came to church with me once right before he took his life and I was like, Well, what good did that do? In the end, the event left Barnett with questions for which there were no answers. And that desperation came out in her songwriting."
Shortly after being written, "Breathe" wound up on Vineyard's Touching the Father's Heart #25 and seemed to be on its way to finding a broader audience. But if there's one thing Barnett learned from watching her husband's songwriting career, it's that the timing isn't up to us.
"We recorded the song for Vineyard and then nothing happened," Barnett says. "Not that I thought anything about it because to me it was just a neat thing the Lord gave to our church." Five years later, worship leader Brian Doerksen was putting together Vineyard's Hungry and contacted Barnett about including "Breathe." Then came Michael W. Smith's version on his 2001 release, Worship. Barnett was driving in her car when she first heard the track playing on the radio. "I just started bawling. I love that version because at the end when he's saying 'Cry out to Him' it's like 'Oh! People are worshipping Jesus! Yea!'"
Since writing "Breathe" Barnett regularly contributes songs to the worship time at Vineyard Community Church of Laguna Niguel, the California church plant where she and her husband lead worship today. And she continues to run the dance studio as her late boss wished. With more than 600 students and 20 classes to teach each week, Barnett says the business venture provides with her plenty of material for her songwriting. And to round out her schedule, she also teaches at worship conferences, going "wherever people invite me."

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oad8ov10AjY

No comments: