Monday, July 28, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday August 3, 2008


TRADITIONAL SERVICE 9:30am

“Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble”

Martin Smith is the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, and main songwriter of the English Christian rock and worship band Delirious? He is generally considered to be one of the foremost songwriters in modern Christian worship music. Some of the most recognized songs by Delirious? include "I Could Sing Of Your Love Forever”, "History Maker", "My Glorious", "Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble", "Shout To The North", "Deeper", "Majesty (Here I Am)", and "What A Friend I've Found".

In 1995, Martin was involved in a near-fatal car accident, and during the weeks of his recovery, he decided to become a full-time musician. He wrote the 'King Of Fools' song 'August 30th' based on this experience.

Click here for the story behind the song www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-197-DidYouFeeltheMountainsTremble-Smith.mp3

Click here to listen to the song www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4Q5vVa0q8Q

Click here to sing along:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRukDH7eKo

Click here to watch Martin Smith:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_bKR2Wzhk&feature=related


"I Will Call upon the Lord"

Words and music: Michael O'Shields
Two psalm verses (Psalm 18:2,46) are united into a powerful brief anthem of praise to "the God of our salvation." Initially a two-part canon (for women and men), this song develops into a strong homophonic "praise" which could be sung in harmony and suitably punctuated with hand claps. This is an (unusual!) example of a P&W song in which the music has a lot of interest and is likely to engender greater longevity.

I will call upon the Lord Who is worthy to be praised! So shall I be saved from my enemies.
The Lord liveth and blessed be my Rock, And let the God of my salvation by exalted. The Lord liveth and blessed be my Rock, And let the God of my salvation by exalted.
Copyright 1981 Sound III, Inc. Used by permission. CCLI # 501247 Words and music by Michael O'Sheilds

Click here to sing through the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=je2Vk83kuzg

"Before the Throne of God Above"

This song was written by Charitie Lees Smith Bancroft in 1863, but was recently published by Vikki Cook who wrote an alternate melody for it.

You can hear the old version by clicking here. http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/b/e/beforetg.htm
You’ll recognize the tune as “Sweet hour of Prayer”

Click here to read through the words:
www.inchristalone.org/BeforeTheThrone.html

What a great line in the second verse:
“For God the just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me”.

Click here to worship along:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_GB_N_79-Q&mode=related&search=

* Click here to hear the Carolina Crown drum and bugle corps' rendition:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuDSHr7QoIg&mode=related&search=



“At the Cross”

Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)Music: Ralph E. Hudson (1843-1901)
Isaac Watts wrote six stanzas of this hymn in 1707 under the title, "Godly Sorrow Arrising From the Sufferings of Christ." Through the years, editors have made a number of alterations. Some of us can remember when the final line of the first stanza was, "...for such a worm as I."
The words of the refrain were added by composer Ralph Hudson when he wrote the tune for the text. It was first published in 1885. There is some evidence that Hudson adapted what was probably a very popular song and used it with only a couple of note changes for the refrain of this hymn.
Hymwriter Fanny Crosby said her "soul flooded with a celestial light" at the time of her conversion, when this hymn was sung.
Alas! and did my Savior bleed, and did my Sovereign die?
Would he devote that sacred head for sinners such as I?
Refrain
At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light, and the burden of my heart rolled away; it was there by faith I received my sight, and now I am happy all the day!

Go here to download a piano arrangement of the song:
http://joelcast.blogspot.com/2005/08/at-cross.html

Go here to download a quartet arrangement of the song: (Scroll down to “At the Cross”)
http://misslink.org/chapel/worship.html

CONTEMPORARY 11:00am

"Friend of God"
Israel Houghton serves as one of the worship pastors for Lakewood Church in Houston. Here is a portion of his amazing story.
I really should have been one of those abortion statistics you read about. My mother became pregnant with me when she was 17. My mother's white and my biological father's black. Her family wasn't supportive of their relationship and gave her the choice to have a back-alley abortion or to be disowned. I'm here because of the decision she made-and because of her conversion shortly after that. So when I lead worship I'm crazy. I realize how fortunate I am to be called by God and to be protected, to be covered by him. I'm incredibly grateful.

I grew up in a fairly legalistic home. My parents loved God, and they did the very best they could with what they knew. They came from a very discipleship-oriented, fairly heavy-handed way of doing kingdom work. So I would have more easily said, "I am afraid of God" than "I am a friend of God." The view I had of God was dysfunctional, almost like he was looking for opportunities to punish me. That was more what I caught than what was taught. But the more I said "I am a friend of God," the more that old, condemning view was purged from my life. I gained a healing sense of God saying, "I want to know you."

Here is a devotional thought on the song
www.gospelflava.com/articles/songinword-friendofgod.html

Here is an interview with Israel that gives great insight into Israel’s walk with the Lord. www.cbn.com/700club/guests/interviews/israel_houghton_041205.aspx
Click here to listen to the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0SO7IvtXM



"Not To Us"

One of the premier songwriters of today, Chris Tomlin is shaping the language of worship for generations present and future. And yet his gifts are rooted in one central truth, that God is the center of everything.Even as a small town Texan boy pounding out new tunes with his rag-tag garage band, Chris Tomlin had been blessed with a passion for purpose. He wanted to be more than just another guy with a song. As he grew, he became even more aware of the fact that everything-what we do, who we are-exists only for God's glory. Tomlin's sophomore studio project, NOT TO US, is an organic, edgy pop blend of his most compelling lyrics to date, the longest and most rewarding mile in his passionate pursuit of real life. NOT TO US is not just another worship album; it's a soundtrack for all of life. "God is a mystery beyond our comprehension," says Tomlin, whose most recent work includes WoW Worship and Passion: Our Love is Loud. "We can't figure God out. He won't be boxed in. He's bigger than all our questions and bigger than our answers. And when our lives become aligned with Him, we see life in a different light, hearts are restored and people are healed."

Lyrics:
the cross before me the world behind
no turning backraise the banner highi
t's not for me it's all for YOU let the heavens shake and split the sky
let the people clap their hands and cry
it's not for usit's all for YOU
not to us but to YOUR name be the glory
not to us but to YOUR name be the glory

Click here to listen to Chris share more about how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zt9K5rLHVk

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFlwKpQmmFQ

"Still"
… the challenge of the Church is to keep worship accessible to all people - Rueben Morgan
Rueben wrote the song "Still" as a reminder to "be still and know that I am God". Reuben has a passion to see the church and the world inspired to worship God. A worship pastor on the Hillsong church leadership team, Reuben works alongside
Darlene Zschech to create an atmosphere of praise and worship that draws
people into God’s presence and helps soften hearts to Jesus’ salvation message.
Reuben is an integral leader of the Hillsong church worship team, teaching often
at the Worship and Creative Arts program. Leading worship on a weekly basis at
Hillsong church, Reuben was the youth Music Pastor who helped to establish
‘Hillsong United’- currently one of the most sought after youth praise and worship
bands having appeared at Creation, Edmonton and Soul Survivor in 2003. He
was one of the major producers on four of the United albums including Everyday,
Best Friend, King Of Majesty and To The Ends Of The Earth. With a congregation
of over 15,000 people, Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia is potentially the
nations largest local church with a TV program that reaches over 125 different
countries across the globe.

Click here to read more about Rueben

Click here to worship along with the Hillsong version

No comments: