Saturday, August 30, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday September 7, 2008


BLENDED SERVICE 9:30 & CONTEMPORARY 11:00

"Jesus Paid it All”

The words were written by Elvina M. Hall and the music by John T. Grape on New Year’s night, 1886, some missionaries were holding open-air services in order to attract passers-by to a near-by mission, where meetings were to be held later. "All to Christ I owe" (Jesus, Paid it All) was sung, and after a gentleman had given a short address he hastened away to the mission. He soon heard footsteps close behind him and a young woman caught up with him and said: "I heard you addressing the open-air meeting just now; do you think, sir, that Jesus could save a sinner like me?" The gentleman replied that there was no doubt about that, if she was anxious to be saved. She told him that she was a servant girl, and had left her place that morning after a disagreement with her mistress. As she had been wandering about the streets in the dark, wondering where she was to spend the night, the sweet melodies of this hymn had attracted her, and she drew near and listened attentively. As the different verses were being sung, she felt that the words surely had something to do with her. Through the whole service she seemed to hear what met her oppressed soul’s need at that moment.

God’s Spirit had showed her what a poor, sinful and wretched creature she was, and had led her to ask what she must do. On hearing her experience, the gentleman took her back to the mission and left her with the ladies in charge. The young, wayward woman was brought to Christ that night. A situation was secured for her in a minister’s family. There she became ill and had to be taken to a hospital. She rapidly failed and it became evident that she would not be long on earth. One day the gentleman whom she had met on New Year’s night was visiting her in the ward. After quoting a few suitable verses of Scripture, he repeated her favorite hymn, "All to Christ I owe"…and she seemed overwhelmed with the thought of coming to glory…Two hours afterward she passed away.

Click here for a solo arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo4WcozMTlU

Click here for an instrumental arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDc-1AV6SA

Click here for a choir arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUMLHsMZ5Gk

Go here for a solo arrangement by Ben Forde, scroll down on the rhapsody player to song # 32
http://play.rhapsody.com/playlistcentral/playlistdetail?playlistId=ply.11990274&didAutoplayBounce=true

"You are My All in All"

This powerful worship song was written by Dennis Jernigan. Dennis Jernigan is a singer-songwriter of contemporary Christian music. He is native to Oklahoma, and headquarters a music-based ministry from there. Self-avowedly ex-gay, Jernigan now lives in Muskogee, Oklahoma with his wife and their nine children. Jernigan has been married to his wife for more than twenty five years.
A primary source of inspiration for Jernigan's message and music is an experience he describes as his "deliverance from homosexuality". Jernigan states that this began during a 2nd Chapter of Acts concert in Norman Oklahoma.Jernigan believes his prior identification as homosexual was related to an erroneous childhood perception that he had been rejected by his father.
As a boy I needed a role model to show me the way to manhood. But because I felt rejected by the main man in my life I, in turn, rejected him and began to yearn for intimacy with a man in perverse ways. Because of this wrong thinking I came to believe I was homosexual. It must have begun early in my life because I remember having those feelings for the same gender at a very early age.
It was then [during a critical moment at the 2nd Chapter of Acts concert] that I lost the need to be accepted or loved by others because I realized Jesus would love me and accept me no matter what, even when I was rejected by others! It was also at this same time that those sexually perverse thoughts and desires were changed...and He began to replace them with holy and pure thoughts about what sexual love was all about.
Following the experience at the concert, Jernigan developed a ministry based on his personal experience, which he shares at churches and other locations around the world.
Dennis has written many of the worship songs we sing including "Who can Satisfy", "We will worship the Lamb of Glory", "I belong to Jesus", "When the night is Falling" and "You are my all in all". Here are some links that will share more about Dennis' ministry.

Click here to listen to Dennis share about the song; http://shareyourstorynow.org/2007/09/19/dennis-jernigan-jesus-worth-every-struggle/

Click here for an article about Dennis
www.okbu.edu/news/view_article.php?id=1127

Click here for Dennis' website
www.dennisjernigan.com/

Click here to hear Dennis ministering in Brazil * must see
http://mickey.tv/r/Video.aspx?v=B_O6TUAMWIw&key=Dennis+Jernigan

Click here to hear Dennis’ share about his daughters’ traffic accident and her amazing story:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K2KX9yy2v4

Click here for an arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC617kE1maU&feature=related


"Blessed Be Your Name"

This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"
Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3

Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI

Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=

www.dennisjernigan.com

"I Cry Holy"

Click here to listen online: http://play.rhapsody.com/dennisjernigan/icryholy/icryholy?didAutoplayBounce=true

This song is based upon Isaiah 6:3; Revelation 4:8; Revelations 5:12

What makes a strong man Suddenly weak Humbled and shaken And fall to his knees? When his heart is broken By the love of a holy God. What makes a weak man Rise up in praise When moments before He was hurt and afraid? When his heart is broken By the love of a holy God.

(Chorus) And I cry, “Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy is the Lamb who was slain To wash all my guilty stain away!”And I cry, “Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy is the lamb! Holy is the Lamb!” What makes a blind man Open his eyes,Once dead in darkness Now alive in the Light? When his eyes are opened By the love of a holy God! What makes a sinner,Lost and unclean,A brand new creation, Washed and redeemed?When his heart is broken By the love of a holy God!
© 2006 Shepherd’s Heart Music, Inc. (admin. by Praise Charts) / BMI. All rights reserved

DENNIS' BIO:

Dennis Jernigan is a singer-songwriter of contemporary Christian music. He is native to Oklahoma, and headquarters a music-based ministry from there. Jernigan now lives in Muskogee, Oklahoma with his wife and their nine children. He claims to have overcome homosexuality. Jenigan has been married to his wife for more than twenty five years.

A primary source of inspiration for Jernigan's message and music is an experience he describes as his "deliverance from homosexuality". Jernigan states that this began during a 2nd Chapter of Acts concert in Norman, Oklahoma. Jernigan believes his prior identification as homosexual was related to an erroneous childhood perception that he had been rejected by his father.

"As a boy I needed a role model to show me the way to manhood. But because I felt rejected by the main man in my life I, in turn, rejected him and began to yearn for intimacy with a man in perverse ways. Because of this wrong thinking I came to believe I was homosexual. It must have begun early in my life because I remember having those feelings for the same gender at a very early age."

"It was then [during a critical moment at the 2nd Chapter of Acts concert] that I lost the need to be accepted or loved by others because I realized Jesus would love me and accept me no matter what, even when I was rejected by others! It was also at this same time that those sexually perverse thoughts and desires were changed...and He began to replace them with holy and pure thoughts about what sexual love was all about.

Following the experience at the concert, Jernigan developed a ministry based on his personal experience, which he shares at churches and other locations around the world. However, Jernigan is concerned that passage of the proposed Hate Crimes Bill (H.R. 1592) would strip him of his right to speak freely about his departure from a homosexual self identity.

No comments: