Friday, November 7, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday November 16,2008


BLENDED 9:30AM

“Made Me Glad”
By Hillsong worship leader Miriam Webster

I will bless the Lord forever.
I will trust him at all times.
He has delivered me from all fear.
He has set my feet upon a rock.
I will not be moved and I’ll say of the Lord,

You are my shield, my strength, my portion,
deliverer, my shelter, strong tower,
my very present help in time of need.

Whom have I in heaven but you?
There’s none I desire beside you.
You have made me glad and I’ll say of the Lord,© 2001 Miriam Webster/Hillsong Publishing

Miriam Webster is an Australian gospel singer-songwriter. Her career began at the age of 15, when she won the interstate music awards. She has since toured Australia, New Zealand and the United States, and released several albums, of which the first is Never Alone. She has been serving with the Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia since 1996 and featuring on numerous Hillsong Music praise-and-worship albums since 1997.

Click here to worship along with the Hillsong worship team:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmBTV08ylc


Click here to purchase "Made me Glad"
Hillsong - Days of Elijah (Ultimate Worship Anthems of the Christian Faith) - Made Me Glad

"It is Well"

Click here to read the story of how the song was written along with the rest of the story http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2003/09/it-is-well-with-my-soul.php

Click here to watch the Gaither video version with David Phelps
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFVijGcLtI

Click here for a video detailing the story behind the song
www.bluefishtv.com/ProductDetails.aspx?cid=1005&id=1498

Click here for more background information:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_With_My_Soul

To listen to the song click here:
www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/i/itiswell.htm

Click here to purchase "It is Well"
Avalon - Faith: a Hymns Collection - It Is Well With My Soul

"Blessed Be Your Name"

This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"

Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3

Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI

Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=

Click here to purchase "Blessed be Your Name"
Matt Redman - Blessed Be Your Name: The Songs of Matt Redman, Vol. 1 - Blessed Be Your Name


"Near to the Heart of God"

Cleland B. McAfee, in 1901, was the pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Chicago, Illinois. One day, to his shock and horror, he received the news that diphtheria had just claimed the lives of his two beloved nieces. To comfort his own soul and the hearts of the suffering family, Cleland wrote a hymn. On the day of the double funeral, he sang the hymn for the first time, with choking voice, outside the quarantined house of his brother, Howard. He wanted to be there for his hurting brother. A fellow pastor would carry the hymn out west to Berkeley, California. Eventually, Pastor McAfee would retire back east in Jaffrey, New Hampshire. Cleland McAfee accomplished many great things in his lifetime, but he is remembered most for writing a simple message in the form of a song that reminds us that when bad things happen to good people, the best place to be is Near to the Heart of God.

Click here to listen to the hymn:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8d4NkNI5zY

Click here to listen online and read more about the composer:
www.invitationtochrist.org/near_to_the_heart_of_god.htm

Click here to purchase "Near to the Heart of God"
Tom Fettke - The Majesty and Glory - Near to the Heart of God

“In Christ Alone”

This song was written by Keith Getty & Stuart TownendTownend and Getty both admit they are motivated by the idea of capturing biblical truth in songs and hymns that will not only cause people to express their worship in church, but will build them up in their Christian lives. “I’ve been amazed by the response to this song,” says Townend. “We’ve had some incredible e-mails about how people have been helped by the song through incredibly difficult circumstances.” One e-mail described how a U.S soldier serving in Iraq would pray through each verse of the song every day, and how the promises of God’s protection and grace helped to sustain him through the enormous pressures and dangers of life in a war zone.

Click here to read more about how the song was composed
www.crosswalk.com/1275127/

Click here to worship along with the Newsboys
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8welVgKX8Qo

Click here to worship along with Natalie Grant
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9WbEn-Nj8&feature=related

In Christ AloneBy Keith Getty and Stuart Townend

In Christ alone my hope is found; He is my light, my strength, my song;
This cornerstone, this solid ground, Firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace, When fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My comforter, my all in all—Here in the love of Christ I stand.

In Christ alone, Who took on flesh, Fullness of God in helpless babe!
This gift of love and righteousness, Scorned by the ones He came to save.
Till on that cross as Jesus died, The wrath of God was satisfied;
For ev'ry sin on Him was laid—Here in the death of Christ I live.

There in the ground His body lay, Light of the world by darkness slain;
Then bursting forth in glorious day, Up from the grave He rose again!
And as He stands in victory, Sin's curse has lost its grip on me;
For I am His and He is mine—Bought with the precious blood of Christ.

No guilt in life, no fear in death—This is the pow'r of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath, Jesus commands my destiny.
No pow'r of hell, no scheme of man, Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home—Here in the pow'r of Christ I'll stand.

Click here to purchase "In Christ Alone"
Avalon - Faith: a Hymns Collection - In Christ Alone


CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM

"O Praise Him”

When David Crowder was attending Baylor University in Waco, Texas in the mid 90's, he learned that more than half of the 14,000 students enrolled in the college were not attending church. This was very disturbing to Crowder, and after many conversations with a friend of his, they decided to start a church that was college friendly. Thus, University Baptist Church was born. That was 1996. Today, almost a decade later, nearly 1,000 people, most of which are college students, are attending the church. Although David Crowder's music ministry has grown significantly since then, he can still be found leading worship there on many Sundays.Crowder deeply wanted to find a way to connect these college students to the heart of God, so he began writing songs that he hoped the students at his school could relate to. A band began to form, and a few years and some new members later, the current lineup came into being and they all commited themselves completely to the ministry.This song was written while David and his band were flying back from Atlanta to Waco. It was the sound of wind on a plane that stirred his soul to a phrase “All this for the King”. David took a pencil and a piece of paper and wrote the following lyrics:Turn your ear To Heaven and hear The noise inside The sound of angels awe The sound of angels songs And all this for a King We could join and sing 'All for Christ our King!' How constant How divine This song of ours will riseOh, how constant How divine This love of ours will rise Will rise... CHORUS: Oh praise Him! Oh praise Him! He is Holy! He is Holy!


Click here to listen to David share how the song came about:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fbX4dRLO0&feature=related

Click here to worship along with David Crowder:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2qfCynlTVg

Click here to purchase "O Praise Him"
David Crowder Band - Illuminate - O Praise Him (All This for a King)

"Everything Glorious"

After the tragic lost of their pastor in Waco, David Crowder was preparing for a Passion tour. His understanding of grace was challenged by the loss of his friend and mentor. This song was birthed as David began to understand the sovereignty of a loving God. That in the midst of tragedy God was making all things glorious.

Click here to listen to David share his story:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgM_fv_4EI

Click here to read more about the tragedy:
www.baptiststandard.com/postnuke/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=4112

Click here to worship along with David:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsxNPM4P0w4

The day is brighter here with You
The night is lighter than its hue
Would lead me to believe
Which leads me to believe
(chorus)

You make everything gloriousYou make everything glorious
You make everything gloriousAnd I am Yours
My eyes are small but they have seenthe beauty of enormous things
Which leads me to believethere's light enough to see thatFrom glory to glory

You are glorious You are gloriousFrom glory to gloryYou are glorious.
You are gloriousWhich leads me to believewhy I can believe that

Click here to purchase "Everything Glorious"
David Crowder Band - Remedy - Everything Glorious

"More than Life"

Reuben Morgan wrote this worship song. Reuben Morgan is the worship pastor and one of the many worship leaders, songwriters at the Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia. He is well known for such songs as "Eagles Wings", "Hear Our Praises", "I Give You My Heart", "My Redeemer Lives" and "Touching Heaven, Changing Earth".

Here is a list of questions asked of Reuben Morgan in an interview and his answers.

Reuben when did you first pick up the guitar?
I started getting lessons from a friend at age 7… And then I can remember so clearly getting my first guitar not too long after that. I worked washing my parents' cars until I had enough money to pay for it!

What are your key musical influences?
I have a musical pallet for such a wide range of styles. Perhaps it was my parents' influence or where I studied. I would say that I have been influenced from Miles Davis to Dire Straits to Bach… the list goes on!

As a pastor at Hillsong Church, what kind of things does your week entail?
My first priority is our church; so week-to-week I lead worship and spend time with people. Apart from that, my time has been freed up to mostly write. I'm not the sort of person who can write on the go so I really value the space and time just to make it all work.

What is the heart of worship?
I would say that Knowing God is the heart of worship—intimacy with Him.
What motivates you to keep going?
I am definitely motivated by my family—my wife Sarah and our son Jones and then all of our incredible family—they are such a blessing! My motivation for doing everything I do though is a desire to see everybody everywhere inspired to worship our God.

Click here to worship along with the Hillsongs worship ministry:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbeIEpr4kGg

Click here to worship along with Reuben Morgan:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYiviL-5n2M

Click here to purchase "More than Life"
Hillsong United - The I Heart Revolution: With Hearts as One - More Than Life

"My Savior, My God"

Aaron Shust was reading through an old hymnal and thought that the verses to this hymn would make a great worship song. The hymn was "I am not Skilled to understand". Aaron wrote the original chorus while sitting at a red light on the way home from a rehearsal.The hymn “I Am Not Skilled To Understand” was written by Dorothy Greenwell (1821-1882). Sometimes known as “Dora,” Ms. Greenwell lived in the rectory in Northumberland, England in 1848. She wrote poems and hymns. “I Am Not Skilled to Understand” was published in 1873, in the hymnal Songs of Sal­va­tion.

Click here to learn more about how Aaron wrote the song:
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-308-MySaviorMyGod-Shust.mp3

Click here to visit Aaron's myspace:
www.myspace.com/aaronshust

Click here to worship along with Aaron;
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb2FK77vJCE

Click here to worship along with Aaron Shust
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt0WluTpFTg

Click here to purchase "My Savior, My God"
Aaron Shust - Anything Worth Saying - My Savior My God


THIRD SERVICE 6PM

"One Way"
This song was written by Joel Houston and Jonathan Douglass. Houston is a musician and songwriter, best known as the key worship leader and producer of Sydney based worship band Hillsong United, the worship band of Hillsong Church's youth group, also known as Hillsong United. In 2008 he became the Creative Director at Hillsong Church.

Houston began playing piano at a young age, at the suggestion of his parents. As he was not interested in piano, he soon diverted his efforts to playing guitar instead.

Jonathan Douglass' first experience of what he describes as God's tangible presence was at a Christian youth camp. At 12, he was actually too young to attend the camp but tagged along with his older brother and sister anyway . One night while the band was playing, he felt something he is almost unable to put into words, I just remember lifting my hands, not really knowing what I was doing and singing these words that had a meaning I didn't really understand. I developed a longing for God's presence without knowing much about it.

The most powerful songs come from a personal relationship with God and are filled with meaningful scripture, JD says. Three years ago, JD wrote One Way, a song inspired by a personal search, I questioned what I was doing and why I was doing it. He was still going to church, reading the Bible and praying but he felt like he had lost the reason for it all. I sat down one night after hanging out with God and the verses just came out back to back within a couple of minutes, he says, Things about God, how He's always there, how He never changes and how I'll never live for anyone but Him.

Click here to learn more about Jonathon Douglass:
www.jonathondouglass.com/

Click here to worship along with the Hillsong worship team:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPuUIUWE8h8

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Hillsong+United/_/One+Way

Click here to purchase "One Way"
Hillsong United - The I Heart Revolution: With Hearts as One - One Way

"Grace"





“Amazing Grace”

John Newton wrote this hymn some time after converting to Christianity in the village of Kineton, in Warwickshire, England. The lyrics are based on his reflections on an Old Testament text he was preparing to preach on, adding his perspective about his own conversion while on his slave ship, the Greyhound, in 1748.
The melody most often used for this hymn was not original (nor was Newton a composer). As with other hymns of this period, the words were sung to a number of tunes before and after they first became linked to the now familiar variant of the tune "New Britain" of which the composer is unknown and is in William Walker's shape-note tunebook Southern Harmony, 1835.

Click here to view the many arrangements of Amazing Grace on youtube: www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amazing+grace+&search_type=

Click here to purchase Leann Rimes version of "Amazing Grace"
LeAnn Rimes - You Light Up My Life - Amazing Grace

"Thy Mercy, My God"

Click here to learn more about Sandra McCracken:
www.sandramccracken.com/

Click here to visit Sandra's myspace:
www.myspace.com/sandramccracken

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Sandra+McCracken/_/Thy+Mercy,+My+God

Thy mercy my God is the theme of my song
The joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue
Thy free grace alone from the first to the last hath won my affection and bound my soul fast
Without they sweet mercy I could not live here sin would reduce me to utter despare
but through thy free goodness my spirits revived and he that first made me so keeps me alive
Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart which wonders to feel it's heartless depart
dissolved by thy goodness I fall to the ground
and weep for the praise of the mercy I've found
Great father of mercies,thy goodness I own and the covenant love of thy crucified
so all praise to the spirit whose whisper divineseals mercy and pardon and righteousness mine

Click here to purchase "Thy Mercy, My God"
Sandra McCracken - The Builder and the Architect - Thy Mercy, My God

“Remedy"

This song is by David Crowder. As you might guess from the title and the medical cross on the cover, Remedy focuses on God's constant presence as the answer to our hurts while challenging listeners to be the balm needed in the lives of others. Indeed, the Texas band's 2007club tour is part worship experience, part rallying cry to inspire change in local communities. At the same time, one could view this album as the band's personal healing in response to the tragic death of their friend and pastor Kyle Lake shortly after the release of A Collision.
Here is Davids' answer to what is worship? This is actually a really difficult question because language is such a fluid thing. A word like “worship” changes and evolves and provokes different meanings for different community sets. Over the last few decades, at least within Christian culture, the word has become synonymous with “music within a congregational context.” You say the word “worship” and a person immediately pictures in his head people singing in a room with lyrics projected on a screen. Words and the objects they signify are very difficult to separate. I’ll show you what I mean. Okay, in your head, say the word, “eight”—and try to not picture the number eight. It’s nearly impossible. So, once a word begins to signify something, it is hard to separate it from the thing it is signifying. For me, I tend to not trust moments of congregational singing as an indicator of where our true affections lie. It is a very simple thing to get caught up in the beauty of music and song erupting in a room full of people. So I rarely trust that moment. I think a better indicator of worship may be the way we interact with the world around us.

Click here to watch the David Crowder band on tour:
www.youtube.com/profile?user=davidcrowderband

Click here to learn more about The David Crowder band:
www.davidcrowderband.com/

Click here to visit Davids' myspace:
www.myspace.com/davidcrowderband

Click here to worship along with a powerful video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3UWiJCZAz8

Click here for a live performance:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGIth9d_LXE&feature=related


Here we are Here we are The broken and used Mistreated, abused
Here we are Here You are Here You are The beautiful one
Who came like a Son Here You are So we lift up our voices
We open our hands To cling to the love That we can’t comprehend

Click here to purchase "Remedy"
David Crowder Band - Remedy - Remedy





No comments: