Monday, December 1, 2008

Behind the Praise - Sunday December 7, 2008

BLENDED 9:30AM



"Of the Father's Love Begotten"

Of the Father's Love Begotten is a Christmas carol. The text is by Roman poet Aurelius Prudentius, from his Liber Cathemerinon, hymn no. IX, beginning "Da puer plectrum," which includes the Latin stanzas listed below. There are two translations commonly sung today, one by Roby Furley Davis, and another by John Mason Neale and Henry W. Baker. Neale's original translation began "Of the Father sole begotten," in his Hymnal Noted (London, 1851), and contained only six stanzas. It was Neale's music editor, Thomas Helmore, who paired this hymn with the Latin plainchant Divinum Mysterium. Neale's translation was later edited and extended by Henry W. Baker for Hymns Ancient and Modern (London, 1861; below).Divinum Mysterium appeared as early as 1582 in Piae Cantiones, where it bore the title "De Eucharistia."

Click here to listen to this advent carol:

Click here for another arrangement:


"O Come, O Come Emmanuel"

O come, O come, Emmanuel is a translation of the Christian Latin text ("Veni, veni, Emmanuel") by John Mason Neale in the mid-19th century. It is a metrical version of a collation of various Advent Antiphons (the acrostic O Antiphons), which now serves as a popular Advent and Christmas hymn. Its origins are unclear, it is thought that the antiphons are from at least the 8th Century, but "Veni, veni Emmanuel" may well be 12th Century in origin. The text is based on the biblical prophesy from Isaiah 7:14 that states that God will give Israel a sign that will be called Immanuel (Lit.: God with us). Matthew 1:23 states fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Jesus of Nazareth.

Click here to listen to the carol:

Click here for Whitney Houstons' version:

Click here for a carol arrangement and dance: www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJAilZYoR4&feature=related


"What Child is This"

"What Child Is This?" is a popular Christmas carol that was written in 1865. At the age of twenty-nine, writer William Chatterton Dix was struck with a sudden near-fatal illness and confined to bedrest for several months, during which he went into a deep depression. Yet out of his near-death experience, Dix wrote many hymns, including "What Child is This?". It was later set to the traditional English melody of "Greensleeves".

Click here to listen to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiZt6MgoVgg

Click here to listen to Josh Groban:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ULS8_4lizY


"Emmanuel"

In 1976, Robert McGee, then an associate pastor at The King's Temple Church in Seattle, Washington, wrote the chorus "Emmanuel." The chorus first appeared in a collection of 11 choruses entitled Choruses From The King's Temple, 1976 Book I and was used by the church in their worship services. In 1983, C.A. Music, Inc. acquired the copyright in "Emmanuel" and licensed the song to dozens of companies. Bob McGee was sued in 1999 by a former associate who claimed he stole the song from another popular song in the church. After a court battle, McGee was cleared of the charge of plagarism.

Click here to listen online:
www.imeem.com/flamzofice/music/eu_uev0E/bob_mcgee_emmanuel/


Click here for a piano arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBEG3U0N5aA


CONTEMPORARY 11:00PM



"You are Good"

Nearly Disposed - Israels' Testimony
My mother became pregnant at the age of 17 in Waterloo, Iowa. You can imagine how this is shaping up. She was given the choice of a back-alley abortion or being disowned by her family. Thank God she chose the latter. Ultimately, she was disowned, abandoned by my biological father, and ended up in San Diego, California. Picture this. It was 1971 and my mother was 8 months pregnant, all alone, thousands of miles from home, and forced to enter reality unprepared. Pretty bleak. One day while walking down the street, a lady pulled up in her Volkswagen Bug, got out, and respectfully yet boldly, began to share the Gospel with her. Words of life and hope began to overtake the words of rejection and abandonment she had grown accustomed to. There on a street corner, she ended up on her knees and cried out to God-committing her life to Jesus Christ. The lady gave her a bible and that's how I got my name. My mother started reading at page one and well, you know-you have a bible, my name's on every page!
I'm often asked by skeptics or the stoic, why I'm as passionate about worshiping God as I am. The answer is simple for me. In this age of disposable relationships, I could have easily become a statistic and at best, a distant memory of a youthful mistake. Instead, a Sovereign God rescued my mother and me and gave us hope, a future, and a testimony of the providence of God. The very least I can do is enter into His gates with fresh thanksgiving, His courts with a passionate praise, and eventually bow before His throne in intimate worship. As far as leading worship goes (which is my passion and calling), I now realize that there have been demands put on me from every part of my experience since day one - culturally, emotionally, musically, and more. So things tend to sound cross-cultural, cross- denominational, and cross-generational. I like to call it, "The Sound of New Breed Worship." I tend to lead from an internal platform founded in Psalm 124:2, "If it had not been for the Lord who was on my side"....where in the world would I be? In an age of disposable relationships, maybe we should be asking ourselves that question a lot more often. I am confident that we would worship with far more conviction, intensity, and overwhelmed gratitude if we did. It is my delight to encourage you today.
Israel

Israel leads a worship band called "New Breed" here's their website, you can listen to portions of the songs they sing including "You are Good"www.newbreedmusic.com/



Click here to learn more about Israel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Houghton

Click here to worship along with Israel:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAGZ8HmiWCM

Click here to see Israel singing "You are Good" in concert:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCpy1Bg255A&feature=related


"Beautiful One"


Tim Hughes wrote this song based upon Isaiah 53:


Click here to listen to Tim Hughes share how he wrote the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJj6fiJ2aW8&mode=related&search=

Click here to worship along with Jeremy Camp
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdF-cBk9CBU


Click here to worship along with Tim Hughes
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMyVZW0zY14&mode=related&search=


Click here to learn more about Tim
www.timhughesmusic.com/


“Enough”

This worship song is by Chris Tomlin. Chris is instrumental in shaping the language for this present body of worshippers. Chris wrote this song along with Louie Giglio. Louie gave Chris a note right before one of their passion tours. The note simply said:

God is enough, He is really more than enough.

Chris took the rough words and crafted the song around that one phrase. Chris showed up in Louie’s kitchen played it for Louie and it was then that Louie realized that the song was really birthed out of the heart of God.

Click here to hear the story in Louie & Chris’ words on New Song CafĂ©:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaLNjeTEeE4

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHEm-b4IRYk&feature=related


"O Come All Ye Faithful"

Also known in Latin as "Adeste Fidelis", this Christmas carol is credited to an English hymnist named John Francis Wade (1711-1786). Written originally in Latin, 'O Come All Ye Faithful', it was penned as a hymn by an Englishman called John Wade. In Latin, it is known as 'Adeste Fideles'. Another Englishman called John Reading composed its music in early 1700s, which was first published in 'Cantus Diversi' in 1751. Rev. Frederick Oakley translated it to English in 1841.

Click here to read more about the history of the song:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adeste_Fideles

Click here to listen to Bianca Ryan sing the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I8XAf4Rwa4

Click here to hear a traditional setting:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZKp4npV47Q&feature=related


Click here for the various recordings of this Carol:
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=o+come+all+ye+faithful&search_type=&aq=f

THIRD SERVICE 6PM

"Here is our King"

This worship song was written by David Crowder in response the Tsunami on December 24, 2004. David and his wife were watching the images of devastation preparing to attend the Passion meeting in Nashville later that month. David was having trouble processing the level of devestation. He remembered telling his wife that 9-11 made more sense, as we are used to humanity doing something to each other. Historically we've done unkind things to each to each other and all we have to do is turn on the news. David knew how to process that devestation, but to be able to see such devestation unfold before his eyes was a new process for him. He struggeld with how to look at that and still say "God is Good". This song was David's response to God in the face of such a tragedy.From wherever spring arrives to heal the ground From wherever searching comes the look itself A trace of what we’re looking for So be quiet now and wait The ocean is growing the tide is coming in Here it is Here is our king, here is our love here is our God who’s come to bring us back to him He is the one, he is Jesus, Jesus

Click here to worship along with David Crowder:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Fl_nqGJc0

Click here to listen to David share about how the song came about:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aea5Mq4sSUA

"Savior Please"

Savior, please take my hand I work so hard, I live so fast
This life begins, and then it ends And I do the best that I can,
but I don't know how long I'll last I try to be so tough
But I'm just not strong enough I can't do this alone,
God I need You to hold on to me I try to be good enough
But I'm nothing without Your love Savior, please keep saving me Savior,
please help me stand I fall so hard, I fade so fast

Will You begin right where I end And be the God of all I am because
You're all I have Hallelujah Everything You are to me Is everything I'll ever need And I am learning to believe That I don't have to prove a thing '
Cause You're the one who's saving me

Cick here to visit Joshs' website - Check out his advent calendar a daily video leading up to Christmas
www.joshwilsononline.com/

Click here to visit Josh' myspace:
www.myspace.com/joshwilson

Click here to worship along with Josh Wilson:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=diUhGip85U8

“Mighty is the Power of the Cross”

This song was written by Chris Tomlin & Jesse Reeves. Chris was stirred by the phrase "What can take a dying man and bring him back to life again". Chris and Jesse were amazed by the mystery of the cross, as it is foolishness to those who are perishing.

What can take a dying man And raise him up to life again?
What can heal the wounded soul? What can make us white as snow?
What can fill the emptiness?What can mend our brokenness?
Brokenness?Chorus:Mighty, awesome, wonderful Is the Holy cross.
Where the Lamb lay down His lifeTo lift us from the fall.
Mighty is the power of the cross.

Click here to hear more about how this song on the cross was written:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gDVwQ_Oyhc

Click here for a moving visual portrayal of the cross:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkO-D0fatRQ&feature=related

"May the Words of My"

Tim Hughes has become one of the most well-known lead worshippers of his generation in the space of just a few years. Tim's first solo project 'Here I am to Worship' was produced by Dwayne Larring and Jason Halbert of SonicFlood. One of our most popular albums.
This album won the Inspirational Song of the Year category at the Dove Awards in Nashville 2003. Tim was also nominated for Songwriter of the Year.

May the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart
Bless Your name, bless Your name, Jesus
And the deeds of the day and the truth in my ways
Speak of You, speak of You, Jesus
For this is what I'm glad to doIt's time to live a life of love that pleases You
And I will give my all to YouSurrender everything I have and follow You
I'll follow YouLord, will You be my vision, Lord, will You be my guide
Be my hope, be my light and the wayAnd I'll look not for riches, nor praises on earth
Only You'll be the first of my heartI will followI will followI will follow You

Click here to worship along with Tim Hughes:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnxv24Y_fx0

No comments: