Monday, January 18, 2010

Behind the Praise - Sunday January 24, 2010



BLENDED 9:30AM


"I love to tell the story"

This song was written by A. Ka­ther­ine Hank­ey in 1866.This is from a long po­em on the life of Je­sus that was writ­ten in 1866. It is in two parts. The first part is a po­em of fif­ty stan­zas, and is ti­tled, “The Sto­ry Want­ed,” be­ing dat­ed Jan­u­a­ry 29, 1866. The se­cond part is ti­tled “The Sto­ry Told,” and is dat­ed No­vem­ber 18, 1866. It is said that the au­thor had a ser­i­ous spell of sick­ness just be­fore this po­em was com­posed, and that she oc­cu­pied the long days of con­va­les­cence in writ­ing the po­em. Cer­tain vers­es were tak­en fro Part I. by Dr. W. H. Doane in 1867 to make the pop­u­lar and fa­mil­iar hymn be­gin­ning, “Tell me the old, old story,” for which he com­posed the fa­mil­iar tune to which those words are com­mon­ly sung. From Part II. cer­tain vers­es have been se­lect­ed to make the above hymn, “I Love to Tell the Sto­ry,” the tune to which was com­posed by W. G. Fischer. This is one of the most pop­u­lar of all mo­dern hymns, and has been trans­lat­ed in­to sev­er­al dif­fer­ent lang­uag­es. These and other hymns by the au­thor have been pub­lished from time to time in dif­fer­ent forms, some­times ac­com­pa­nied by tunes com­posed by her­self. Ma­ny of her hymns are found in a lit­tle vol­ume which she pub­lished in 1870, ti­tled Heart to Heart. Very few hymns writ­ten in the last fif­ty years have so taken hold of the hearts of the peo­ple, both the young and the old, as has this sim­ple lit­tle song.

Click here to worship along with Alan Jackson:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpfsZZ9X5n8

Click here to listen to Andy Griffith:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqX3xpRC0bw&feature=PlayList&p=A1F6E577A9633422&index=3



“How can I keep from Singing”

There is an endless song echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring and though the storms may come
I am holding on to the rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enoughHow amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

Chris Tomlin joined Ed Cash and Matt Redman to write this song. The song is on the album "See the Morning". This song anchors the theme of hope found on the album. "How Can I Keep From Singing," is a rendition of the 1860 hymn by Robert Lowry. "How Can I Keep From Singing?" is listed in some hymnals by the opening line "My Life Flows On". The original composition has now entered into the public domain. The song is frequently cited incorrectly as a traditional Quaker hymn. Chris reworked the original text and crafted a song that could be sung to God during the difficult times.

Click here to listen to Chris share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lTZySpbpo

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI5wxtH6OY&feature=related


"Blessed Be Your Name"

This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"
Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3

Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI

Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=



CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM



“How can I keep from Singing”

There is an endless song echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring and though the storms may come
I am holding on to the rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enoughHow amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

Chris Tomlin joined Ed Cash and Matt Redman to write this song. The song is on the album "See the Morning". This song anchors the theme of hope found on the album. "How Can I Keep From Singing," is a rendition of the 1860 hymn by Robert Lowry. "How Can I Keep From Singing?" is listed in some hymnals by the opening line "My Life Flows On". The original composition has now entered into the public domain. The song is frequently cited incorrectly as a traditional Quaker hymn. Chris reworked the original text and crafted a song that could be sung to God during the difficult times.

Click here to listen to Chris share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lTZySpbpo

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI5wxtH6OY&feature=related

“Everything Glorious”

After the tragic lost of their pastor in Waco, David Crowder was preparing for a Passion tour. His understanding of grace was challenged by the loss of his friend and mentor. This song was birthed as David began to understand the sovereignty of a loving God. That in the midst of tragedy God was making all things glorious.

Click here to listen to David share his story:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKgM_fv_4EI

Click here to read more about the tragedy:
www.baptiststandard.com/postnuke/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=4112


Click here to worship along with David:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsxNPM4P0w4


The day is brighter here with You
The night is lighter than its hue
Would lead me to believe
Which leads me to believe(chorus)

You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
You make everything glorious
And I am Yours My eyes are small but they have seen
the beauty of enormous things
Which leads me to believe
there's light enough to see that
From glory to glory You are glorious You are glorious
From glory to gloryYou are glorious. You are glorious
Which leads me to believewhy I can believe that



“Marvelous Light”

This song was written by Charlie Hall. Charlie Hall has been traveling for almost 15 years, from OKC to Kuala Lumpur, enthralling friends and strangers with his goatee and his songs. With a musical journey that has crisscrossed all kinds of rock music, folk music, and electronic music, he carries a songwriting sense that aims to capture dense images of life with God, in compositions that can be carried with the listener.He aims to tell the old story of the Gospel in an ever-shifting world, without resorting to easy truisms, or lazy language. His new collection of songs, The Bright Sadness, echoes a journey pressed to the chest of God, joyful and sorrowful at once, with God's heart clear and pulsing in each note and word. It wraps liturgy with the unexpected, and daily mundanity with daily surprise.

Click here to learn more about Charlie Hall:
www.charliehall.com/

Click here to visit Charlies’ myspace:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=60771694

Click here to worship along with Charlie Hall:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTkB6cBJGZg

Click here for a slower arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbEEeB0Dyew


"How Great is Our God"

This worship song was written by Chris Tomlin. Chris said he almost apologized to the Lord for writing such a simple song, but felt that the English language could only go so far in describing the greatness of our God. After writing the song he felt in his spirit that he had written a song that would be embraced by the church around the world.

Chris received his first guitar from his father, Connie, at the age of eleven after contracting a case of mono. Then, Tomlin wrote his first worship song at age fourteen. He entered college planning to study medicine, but he stated that he felt God's calling to something else and did not pursue that career.In the mid-1990's Tomlin spent time leading worship at the Dawson McAllister Youth Conferences, as well as at various camps around the state of Texas.Following college, at Texas A&M University Tomlin continued to play and write songs, and in 1997, Louie Giglio asked if he would be interested in working with the Passion Conferences. Tomlin agreed, and he has played a key role ever since. His first nationally released solo project, entitled The Noise We Make, was released in 2001, which saw the emergence of songs "Forever" (his most famous song other than "How Great Is Our God"), "Be Glorified", and "Kindness", all of which made the top 200 in the CCLI 2005 top 500 worship songs.

According to Christian Copyright Licensing International's list of the top 25 worship songs in the United States as of August 2007, Tomlin held 5 spots with songs he has either written or co-written with other songwriters: "How Great Is Our God" (#1), "Forever" (#5), "Holy Is the Lord" (#7), "We Fall Down" (#12),and "Indescribable" (#22).

Click here to listen to the story behind the song:
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-302-HowGreatisOurGod-Tomlin.mp3

Click here to listen to Chris share about how the song came about on newsong café: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpfKli_4LQ0&mode=related&search=

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjxPG_mRHDs&feature=related

Click here to learn more about Chris’ ministry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Tomlin#Biography

Click here to visit Chris’ website:
http://www.christomlin.com/

Click here to visit Chris’ myspace:
www.myspace.com/christomlin


THIRD 6PM



“Who Can Satisfy”

Dennis Jernigan is a singer-songwriter of contemporary Christian music. He is native to Oklahoma, and headquarters a music-based ministry from there. Formerly a homosexual, Jernigan now lives in Muskogee, Oklahoma with his wife of nearly 24 years and their nine children.
A primary source of inspiration for Jernigan's message and music is an experience he describes as his "deliverance from homosexuality", which he states to have begun during a 2nd Chapter of Acts concert in 1981 at Oklahoma Baptist University. Jernigan has stated that he believes his prior identification as homosexual was related to a childhood perception that he had been rejected by his father. He claims that both perceptions were erroneous:
As a boy I needed a role model to show me the way to manhood. But because I felt rejected by the main man in my life I, in turn, rejected him and began to yearn for intimacy with a man in perverse ways. Because of this wrong thinking I came to believe I was homosexual. It must have begun early in my life because I remember having those feelings for the same gender at a very early age.
It was then [during a critical moment at the 2nd Chapter of Acts concert] that I lost the need to be accepted or loved by others because I realized Jesus would love me and accept me no matter what, even when I was rejected by others! It was also at this same time that those sexually perverse thoughts and desires were changed...and He began to replace them with holy and pure thoughts about what sexual love was all about.
You may know the music of Dennis Jernigan rather than the mention of his name. Songs like: "You Are My All in All", "Great is the Lord Almighty", and "Nobody Fills My Heart Like Jesus", as well as hundreds of others are sung literally all over the world. Dennis believes worship is all about relationship rather than performance...and he believes he is called to help people get honest with themselves and with God simply because he has found in his own life that honesty and truth have set him free. He has an incredible testimony that he shares very openly with his audiences.

To read more about Dennis visit his website at
www.dennisjernigan.com/.

Dennis and his wife Melinda, along with eight of their nine children make their home in Muskogee, Oklahoma where they serve Christ through the local body of believers known as New Community Church.

Click here to listen to the song “Who Can Satisfy” by the Lee University Singers:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNMw73XAtaA&feature=related

Click here to hear the Hebraic Christian worship team:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUGjaCtxwKQ&feature=related

Click here to listen to Dennis share about his favorite scripture: www.revver.com/video/516239/dennis-jernigan-shares-about-his-favorite-bible-verses/


“When it’s All been said and done”

This song was written by Jim Cowan was born on Sept. 26, 1952 in Gunnison, Co. Growing up in Colorado he was very involved in sports. He participated in competitive ski racing, baseball, golf, tennis, soccer, swimming, and many outdoor activities. His Dad was a recreation director for the city, and his Mom taught music in the Elementary school. Jim’s early music training included piano lessons from his mother, and voice lessons from a retired voice teacher and friend of the family. After high school, Jim studied music at Western State College in Gunnison, and at Emporia State Teacher’s College in Emporia, Kansas. His training included classical voice, piano, theory and harmony of music, and general studies. It was while he was at Emporia State that Jim experienced a spiritual conversion, and began to seek God’s direction in his life. He withdrew from school and went to the Benedictine Monastery in Pecos, New Mexico. It was there that he converted to Catholicism, and began to write songs for liturgy and worship.

Click here to listen to an inspiration thought on the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc5SdTV6rYk

Click here to worship along with Don Moen:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOSMDQTngDs&feature=related

Click here to read more about Jim Cowans’ ministry:
http://www.jimcowan.com/


"Because of Your Love"


Jesus you endured my pain
Savior you bore all my shame
All because of your love All because of your love
Maker of the universe Broken for the sins of the earth
All because of your love All because of your love
Because of your cross my debt is paid
Because of you blood my sins are washed away
Now all of my life, I freely give Because of your love,
Because of your love I live

Click here to hear Phil Wickham share about the song:
www.tsrocks.com/p/phil_wickham_texts/because_of_your_love.html



“Nothing but the Blood"

Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, would write these words, "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." (Romans 3:25) The emphasis of this verse is on the shed blood that satisfies or propitiates our sin debt. Another way of saying the same thing is, "What can wash away our sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus." More than likely it was this verse or one like it, dealing with the subject of blood, which caused Pastor Robert Lowry to write a hymn.
Born in Philadelphia, on March 12, 1826, young Robert accepted Christ as his personal Savior at the age of 17 and later graduated from Bucknell University with high scholastic honors. In the 73 years of his life here on earth, he pastored churches in Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York City and Brooklyn. Along with his preaching, Dr. Lowry also had the gift of music in the writing of hymns. When asked about his method for writing songs, he would answer by saying:
I have no set method. Sometimes, the music comes and the words follow…. I watch my moods, and when anything strikes me, whether words or music, no matter where I am, at home or on the street, I jot it down…. My brain is sort of a spinning machine, for there is music running through it all the time. The tunes of nearly all the hymns I have written have been completed on paper, before I tried them on the organ. Frequently, the words of the hymn and the music have been written at the same time.
He supplied the music for such familiar hymns as We’re Marching to Zion, Savior, Thy Dying Love, Where Is my Wandering Boy Tonight, I Need Thee Every Hour and Fanny Crosby’s song, All the Way my Savior Leads Me. The words and music would come together in 1864 to produce Shall We Gather at the River. Then, in the Easter season of 1874, Christ Arose would flow from his pen and his heart. Finally, in 1876, Pastor Lowry would give us the answer to our sin debt in his song, Nothing but the Blood.
Down through the ages, man has tried to work off his sin debt in good works and religion—only to fail. The Bible says, "Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness." (Hebrews 9:22) Robert Lowry understood this very well:

Oh! Precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Click here to sing along with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDHamIhF7o

Click here for an organ arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNNFPBkEsw



No comments: