Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Behind the Praise - Palm Sunday March 28, 2010


BLENDED 9:30AM


"All Glory Laud and Honor"

This great hymn is based on verses written in the early Middle Ages. The Latin original, "Gloria, laus et honor tibi sit, rex Christe redemptor" was 78 lines long. It was written as a processional hymn. In the Middle Ages, it was the custom for the clergy and choir to process within the church as well as in the church square and town.

St. Theodulph of Orleans wrote "All Glory, Laud and Honor" while he was in prison, under suspicion of plotting against Emperor Louis I. Legend has it that King Louis passed the prison during the Palm Sunday procession while Theodulph sang this hymn from his window, which so delighted the king that he was immediately liberated. However, the unfortunate truth is that he probably remained imprisoned until his death in 821, possibly of poisoning.

Click here for an organ arrangement:

“The Wonderful Cross”


ISAAC WATTS & CHRIS TOMLIN

The original song was written by Isaac Watts, the new chorus was written by Chris Tomlin. Isaac was born in 1674 and Chris was born in 1972. Even though they are separated by three hundred years, there is no separation between their passion and commitment to leading God's people in worship. WOW! The past meets the present.

Click here to hear Chris Tomlin talk about how this new arrangement came about. www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-306-TheWonderfulCross-Tomlin.mp3

Click here to learn more about Chris Tomlin
You can listen to more of Chris Tomlins' music on his myspace website.

Isaac Watts (July 17, 1674 – November 25, 1748) is recognized as the "Father of English Hymnody", as he was the first prolific and popular English hymnwriter, credited with some 750 hymns. Many of his hymns remain in active use today and have been translated into many languages.

Click here to read more about Isaac Watts.

This is an interesting read on Isaac Watts.

Isaac is best known for his emphasizing the role of music in worship, where the congregation actually began to sing with the choir. Watts became the congregation's pastor in 1702. Just five feet tall, he was an unprepossessing figure in the pulpit. Health problems continued to plague him, and an assistant had to be appointed to fill in for him after a severe bout with illness in 1703. Despite these problems, Watts was a powerful preacher. The Mark Lane congregation outgrew its quarters and twice had to move to larger facilities, and Watts' sermons began to be collected and printed. Part of his success was due to his emphasis on the role of music in worship. A minister, he felt, should not only write sermons but should seek to involve his congregation in worship through music.


“And Can it Be”

Not many hymns begin with a question as does this one. However, it is not an expression of doubt but of wonder and awe. · How can it be that the shedding of Jesus’ blood 1900 years ago is relevant to me today? · How was it possible for the Son of God to have died for me? · Why should our Lord empty Himself of all His divine glory and become a man, in order to save “Adam’s helpless race?” There is considerable evidence that this hymn was written by Charles Wesley soon after his own conversion. Charles Wesley’s crisis experience occurred on May 20, 1738. He had been sick in body as well as in spirit. It seemed that God spoke to him through a vision. According to his Journal, this confrontation took place after reading the bible for some time. Following is his account: “At midnight I gave myself up to Christ: assured I was safe, sleeping or waking. I had continued experience of his power to overcome all temptation; and confessed, with joy and surprise, that he was able to do exceedingly abundantly for me, above what I can ask or think.”

And Can it Be, that I Should Gain And can it be, that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood`? Died he for me, who caused his pain?
For me, who him to death pursued?

Amazing love! how can it be
That thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
’Tis mystery all! The Immortal dies!
Who can explore his strange design? In vain the first-born seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine!

Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel-minds inquire no more. He left his Father’s throne above,
(So free, so infinite his grace!)
Emptied himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam’s helpless race: ’Tis mercy all, immense and free,
For, O my God, it found out me!

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature’s night; Thine eye diffused a quickening ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free,

I rose, went forth, and followed thee. No condemnation now I dread,

Jesus, and all in him, is mine! Alive in him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Click here for an arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQeIGbKqiw8

Click here for another arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHPnGnzctCI&feature=related

Click here to worship along with the Gaithers:


CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM

"Blessed Be Your Name"

This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"
Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.

Click here to hear the song

Click here to worship along with Tree63

“How can I keep from Singing”

There is an endless song echoes in my soul
I hear the music ring and though the storms may come
I am holding on to the rock I cling
How can I keep from singing Your praise
How can I ever say enoughHow amazing is Your love
How can I keep from shouting Your name
I know I am loved by the King
And it makes my heart want to sing

Chris Tomlin joined Ed Cash and Matt Redman to write this song. The song is on the album "See the Morning". This song anchors the theme of hope found on the album. "How Can I Keep From Singing," is a rendition of the 1860 hymn by Robert Lowry. "How Can I Keep From Singing?" is listed in some hymnals by the opening line "My Life Flows On". The original composition has now entered into the public domain. The song is frequently cited incorrectly as a traditional Quaker hymn. Chris reworked the original text and crafted a song that could be sung to God during the difficult times.

Click here to listen to Chris share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lTZySpbpo

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI5wxtH6OY&feature=related

"Wonderful Maker"

You spread out the skies over empty space
Said "let there be light"
Into a dark and formless world Your light was born
You spread out Your ams over empty hearts
Said "let there be light"
Into a dark and hopeless world Your Sonwas born
You made the world and saw that it was good
You sent Your only son for You are good
What a wonderful Maker What a wonderful Savior
How majestic Your whispers And how humble Your love
With a strength like no other And the heart of a Father
How majestic Your whispers What a wonderful God

Click here to worship along with Chris Tomlin:

“How Great Thou Art”

The history of the hymn How Great Thou Art begins with Mr. Carl Gustaf Boberg (1859-1940). He was a Swedish pastor, editor, and member of the Swedish parliament. Mr. Boberg was enjoying a nice walk when a thunderstorm suddenly appeared out of no where. A severe wind began to blow. After the storm was over, Mr. Boberg looked out over the clear bay. He then heard a church bell in the distance. And the words to How Great Thou Art begin to form in his heart -- O Lord, my God, When I in awesome wonder, consider all the worlds Thy hands hath made. . . Can you imagine what Boberg felt as he formed these words? There was such calmness after the fierce storm he could only utter those words of peace. This poem, titled O Store Gud (O Great God) was published in 1891 in Witness of the Truth, the weekly newspaper that Boberg edited. It was later translated in German. In 1927, it was published in a Russian version of the German text.

How Great Thou Art was sung by George Beverly Shea at the London Crusade of the Billy Graham evangelistic team in 1954. He later sang this song over 100 times during a revival in New York at a Billy Graham Crusade. This caused the hymn to receive new attention in Sweden and America and be published in several songbooks. Today millions across the world continue to sing this beautiful song. Giving God all praise, glory, and honor for who He is -- the Creator of this universe.

Click here to see the different arrangements available from Elvis Presley, Alan Jackson, The Grand Ole Opera Sandy Patti, Crystal Lewis, & David Phelps.
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+great+thou+art+&search_type=

THIRD - 6PM
Join us as the worship choir & orchestra present:


No comments: