Friday, January 30, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday February 8, 2009

BLENDED SERVICE 9:30AM

“There is a Redeemer”

Keith Gordon Green (October 21, 1953 – July 28, 1982) was an American gospel singer, songwriter, musician, and Contemporary Christian Music artist originally from Sheepshead Bay, New York. Green is best known for his strong devotion to evangelical Christianity and his unwavering efforts to stir others to the same. Notable songs written by Green and/or his wife, Melody Green, include "Your Love Broke Through," "You Put This Love In My Heart," and "Asleep In The Light," as well as the popular modern hymns "O Lord, You're Beautiful" and "There Is A Redeemer".

Click here to learn more about Keith and read his incredible history:
www.lastdaysministries.org/Groups/1000008700/Last_Days_Ministries/Keith_Green/Bio.aspx
Click here to read more about Keiths’ ministry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Green

Click here for another arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hVTcS_8oN4

“Amazing Grace”

John Newton wrote this hymn some time after converting to Christianity in the village of Kineton, in Warwickshire, England. The lyrics are based on his reflections on an Old Testament text he was preparing to preach on, adding his perspective about his own conversion while on his slave ship, the Greyhound, in 1748.
The melody most often used for this hymn was not original (nor was Newton a composer). As with other hymns of this period, the words were sung to a number of tunes before and after they first became linked to the now familiar variant of the tune "New Britain" of which the composer is unknown and is in William Walker's shape-note tunebook Southern Harmony, 1835.

Click here to view the many arrangements of Amazing Grace on youtube: www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amazing+grace+&search_type=

"Mystery"

Paradox. It is not an easily definable concept. It is suffering mingled with joy; sorrow clasping hands with celebration; brokenness enveloped by unity. It is a bright sadness. It is a concept that is frequently embraced by those contemporary psalmists who march boldly on the cutting edge of change while holding tenaciously to the secure tether of tradition. Though it is the preferred weapon of warriors of worship, for Charlie Hall the paradox of pain and praise is neither a recent phenomenon nor a carefully orchestrated career choice. It is a compulsion driven by a hunger and thirst for the presence of God."The human condition may be frail, but God is bursting with life," Charlie insists. "There is a massive sunrise full of dreams and hopes right beside the obscenity of the cross, and those two things don't have to be exclusive. There was a time when I felt so human that I didn't feel like I could belong to God. I didn't feel like His greatness and my difficulties could fit together. Then He began to show me that my brokenness and messiness fit perfectly with what He came here to do. I was the perfect candidate for mercy and grace and life and hope. In my broken state, He is the Bright inside my Sadness."

Click here to worship along with Charlie Hall:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=A69Hj3ISMSo&feature=related

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Charlie+Hall/_/Mystery

Click here for Charlie Hall "Scenes from a little church"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk33IQJ8B0k&feature=related

CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM

"Blessed Be Your Name"
This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"

Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3

Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI

Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=

"You never let Go"

This powerful new song by Matt Redman has been described as follows from Christianity Today:"You Never Let Go" begins with a quiet piano and moody atmospherics that mirror far-from-ebullient lyrics based on Psalm 23: Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death/You're perfect love is casting out fear/And even when I'm caught in the middle of the storms of this life/I won't turn back, I know you are near…The chorus is a loud, exultant proclamation that God will never let go of us and in it Redman uses the minor-key construction to subtly (and maturely) declare that God's love is still valid, even in the midst of pain.

Click here to listen watch the video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIAdgLR1ZGw

Click here to read more about Matt Redman on his myspace - you can play the song directly from his stand-alone player and can buy the song from his website
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=120781688

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
Your perfect love is casting out fear
And even when I’m caughtin the middle of the storms of this life
I won’t turn back I know You are near

And I will fear no evil For my God is with me And if my God is with me
Whom then shall I fear? Whom then shall I fear?

Oh no, You never let goThrough the calm and through the storm
Oh no, You never let go In every high and every low
Oh no, You never let go Lord, You never let go of me

"Majesty"

This song from Delirious? is the expression of a heart humbled by the love shown in the sacrifice, grace and majesty of our God. The song was written by Martin Smith & Stuart Garrard.

Martin James Smith (born 6 July 1970) is the lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist, and main songwriter of the English Christian rock and worship band Delirious? He is generally considered to be one of the foremost songwriters in modern Christian worship music, along with people like Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, and David Crowder. He co-wrote three songs on Michael W. Smith's album Healing Rain and is going to be collaborating with Michael W. Smith on his upcoming album. Martin also co-wrote two songs on Matt Redman's album Beautiful News (" Take it to the streets" and "All over the World"). Some of the most recognised songs by Delirious? include "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever", "History Maker", "My Glorious", "Did You Feel the Mountains Tremble", "Shout To The North", "Deeper", "Majesty (Here I Am)", and "What A Friend I've Found". In 1995, Martin was involved in a near-fatal car accident, and during the weeks of his recovery, he decided to become a full-time musician. He wrote the 'King Of Fools' song 'August 30th' based on this experience. Smith was one of the founding members of Delirious? along with Stewart Smith (no relation) and Tim Jupp, when they formed the band under The Cutting Edge.
Stuart Garrard is a guitarist who has developed his own unique style of playing, which has become known to some people, although probably not many, as 'octave distortion'. He also writes music and lyrics, and sings backing vocals and occasionally lead vocals. He is instantly recognisable as a result of his bald head and goatee beard. He is the oldest member of the band "Delirious".

Here I am humbled by your Majesty
Covered by your grace so free
Here I am, knowing I'm a sinful man
Covered by the blood of the Lamb
Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Majesty, Majesty Your grace has found me just as I am
Empty handed, but alive in your hands
Majesty, MajestyForever I am changed by your love
In the presence of your Majesty
Here I am humbled by the love that you give
Forgiven so that I can forgive
Here I stand, knowing that I'm your desire
Sanctified by glory and fire
Now I've found the greatest love of all is mine
Since you laid down your life
The greatest sacrifice

Click here to worship along with Delirious
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNjH8QDpBFY

Click here to visit their myspace:
www.myspace.com/delirious

“Agnus Dei”

Michael Whitaker Smith has become one of the most enduringly popular artists on the Christian Contemporary Music front and is also finding considerable success as a mainstream artist. He was born in Kenova, West Virginia, the son of an oil refinery worker and a caterer. He became a devout Christian at age ten and spent his teens hanging around with a solid support group of fellow believers who frequently gathered to play and make music. After high school, that support group split up, and Smith turned to alcohol, drugs and wild times. He scraped through a couple semesters of college and began honing his songwriting skills. In 1978, a songwriting company expressed interest in his songwriting, and he moved to Nashville, where he played with local bands, including Rose. He was still heavily into drugs and continued using until October 1979, when he suffered a sort of emotional mental breakdown that culminated in recommitting to Christ. The next day he auditioned for a new CCM group, Higher Ground, as a keyboardist. While touring with them, Smith cleaned up his act.

In 1981, he signed to Meadowgreen Music as a staff writer, where over the next few years he provided gospel hits for such artists as Sandi Patti, Kathy Troccoli, Bill Gaither and Amy Grant. He began touring as a keyboardist with Grant in 1982 and the following year, after releasing his first album, The Michael W. Smith Project, became her opening act. His debut album garnered him a Grammy nomination for Best Gospel Performance.Agnus Dei is a Latin term meaning Lamb of God, and was originally used to refer to Jesus Christ in his role of the perfect sacrificial offering that atones for the sins of humanity in Christian theology, harkening back to ancient Jewish Temple sacrifices.

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith and a fantastic boy’s choir:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTWFYRA2j74&feature=related

Click here to worship along with Third Day:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbKXJ1Jm_jg

THIRD SERVICE - 6PM

“Point of Difference”

This songs from the Hillsongs worship was written by Joel Houston. Joel Houston is a musician and songwriter, best known as the key worship leader and producer of Sydney based worship band Hillsong United, the worship band of Hillsong Church's youth group, also known as Hillsong United. In 2008 he became the Creative Director at Hillsong Church. He is the oldest son of the church's senior pastors Brian and Bobbie Houston and grandson of the church's founder Frank Houston. He has two siblings, a brother Benjamin and a sister, Laura.

The tide is turning this is redemption's hour
In the midst of the world lost for love you are all we have now
The lost returning salvation is all around in the midst of the world broken down
You are all we have now for You are God and this hope is ours
So Father open the skies flood the earth with your light
This is love, to break a world indifferent
Our hearts are burning the fire that won't burn out
In the midst of a world that's grown cold you are all we have now
The earth resounding the anthem of your renown
As we lift up our eyes and look to your glory
Call us out let the world see you are God and this hope is ours
So call us out, let the world see You are God as we sing
Open the skiesFlood the Earth with your light This is love to break a world indifferent
As we lift up our eyes fill our hearts with your fire
In a world the same we'll be the difference, the difference
So call us out let the world see you are God and this hope is ours
Our eyes are open every chain now broken in this world we are different
Let your love become us as we live to make you famous
We're in this world but we are different
So call us out, let the world seeYou are God as we sing
Father open the skiesFlood the Earth with your life
This is love to break a world indifferent as we lift up our eyes
Fill our hearts with your fire in a world the same we'll be the difference, the difference
So call us out let the world see You are God one and only
In this world you are all we have now


Click here to worship along with the Hillsongs worship ministry:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohyE2vxwoxM

"Grace"

This song on the theme of grace was written by Phil Wickham. In a world where swagger usually triumphs over substance, it’s refreshing when a young singer/songwriter arrives on the scene with something to say. With the multi-faceted sound of a much older soul and shimmering melodies that match the intensity of his heartfelt lyrics, 21-year-old Phil Wickham’s self-titled debut can’t help but stand out in a crowd of cookie-cutter pop and angst-fueled rock. And it’s his personal journey of faith expressed in the songs that really makes the difference.Even though singer/songwriter Phil Wickham grew up in a devout Christian home, there came a point early in his life when he knew his faith needed to become his own. He no longer wanted to coast on his parents’ coattails or go to church simply because that’s what he was supposed to do. He wanted something real, that personal friendship with Jesus. And that crucial realization, combined with moving to a new city while he was in junior high, paved the way for Phil to pick up a guitar and start writing songs about his growing faith.

The sky is grey and the light is far The sea is a rage within my heart
I turn my sight to the crashing waves I cry in the night just to be saved
I need eyes to be my guide I need a voice that’s louder than mine
I need hope I need You Cause I can’t do this alone

Grace I call Your name Oh won’t Your smile fall over me
I’m cracked and dry on hands and knees Oh sweet grace rain down on me
I need You grace I pray for dawn a new day to live
I pray for mercy only Jesus gives Though darkness falls and a million cry
I believe over all there’s a greater light shining for us Come down and save me

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Phil+Wickham/_/Grace

Click here to worship along with Phil Wickham:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgrNijfWamk

“Nothing but the Blood"
Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, would write these words, "Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God." (Romans 3:25) The emphasis of this verse is on the shed blood that satisfies or propitiates our sin debt. Another way of saying the same thing is, "What can wash away our sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus." More than likely it was this verse or one like it, dealing with the subject of blood, which caused Pastor Robert Lowry to write a hymn.
Born in Philadelphia, on March 12, 1826, young Robert accepted Christ as his personal Savior at the age of 17 and later graduated from Bucknell University with high scholastic honors. In the 73 years of his life here on earth, he pastored churches in Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York City and Brooklyn. Along with his preaching, Dr. Lowry also had the gift of music in the writing of hymns. When asked about his method for writing songs, he would answer by saying:
I have no set method. Sometimes, the music comes and the words follow…. I watch my moods, and when anything strikes me, whether words or music, no matter where I am, at home or on the street, I jot it down…. My brain is sort of a spinning machine, for there is music running through it all the time. The tunes of nearly all the hymns I have written have been completed on paper, before I tried them on the organ. Frequently, the words of the hymn and the music have been written at the same time.
He supplied the music for such familiar hymns as We’re Marching to Zion, Savior, Thy Dying Love, Where Is my Wandering Boy Tonight, I Need Thee Every Hour and Fanny Crosby’s song, All the Way my Savior Leads Me. The words and music would come together in 1864 to produce Shall We Gather at the River. Then, in the Easter season of 1874, Christ Arose would flow from his pen and his heart. Finally, in 1876, Pastor Lowry would give us the answer to our sin debt in his song, Nothing but the Blood.
Down through the ages, man has tried to work off his sin debt in good works and religion—only to fail. The Bible says, "Without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness." (Hebrews 9:22) Robert Lowry understood this very well:

Oh! Precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

Click here to sing along with the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDHamIhF7o

Click here for an organ arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvNNFPBkEsw

"Lead me to the Cross"

Savior I come Quiet my soul remember
Redemptions hill Where Your blood was spilled For my ransom
Everything I once held dear I count it all as lost

Lead me to the cross Where Your love poured out
Bring me to my knees Lord I lay me down Rid me of myself
I belong to You Lead me, lead me to the cross

You were as I Tempted and trialed
You are The word became flesh
Bore my sin and death Now you're risen
To your heart To your heart
Lead me to your heart Lead me to your heart

Brooke Fraser was born in New Zealand. She is on of the main key worshippers of Sydney Australia's Hillsong Church and is married to on of Hillsong United's songwritters Scott Ligertwood. She has appeared on many live worship albums. She is a born again Christian. She was born to former 'All Black' Bernie Fraser and Lynda Fraser and is the oldest out of 3 children

Click here to learn more about Brooke Fraser:
www.brookefraser.com/

Click here to listen online:
www.imeem.com/people/riK9nJK/music/Mj1XCeWj/hillsong_united_lead_me_to_the_cross/

Click here to worship along with the Hillsongs worship team:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdq9Q8wJdjc

“The Old Rugged Cross”

The “Old Rugged Cross” is a popular Christian song written in 1912 by evangelist and song-leader George Bennard (1873-1958).
George Bennard, was a native of Youngstown, Ohio but was reared in Iowa. After his conversion in a Salvation Army meeting, he and his wife became brigade leaders before leaving the organization for the Methodist Church. As a Methodist evangelist, Bennard wrote the first verse of the gospel song, "The Old Rugged Cross" in Albion, Michigan, in the fall of 1912. Charles H. Gabriel, a well-known gospel-song composer helped Bennard with the harmonies. Published in 1915, the song was popularized during Billy Sunday evangelistic campaigns by two members of his campaign staff, Homer Rodeheaver (who bought rights to the song for $500) and Virginia Asher, who were perhaps also the first to record it in 1921. The Old Rugged Cross uses a sentimental popular song form with a verse/chorus pattern in 3/4 time, and it speaks of the writer's Christian experience rather than his adoration of God. Bennard retired to Reed City, Michigan, and the town maintains a museum dedicated to his life and ministry.
"The Old Rugged Cross" remains enormously popular and has been performed by some of the twentieth century's most important recording artists, including: Al Green, Anne Murray, Brad Paisley, Chet Atkins, Elvis Presley, Floyd Cramer, George Jones, Jim Reeves, Johnny Cash and June Carter, Kevin Max, Mahalia Jackson, Merle Haggard, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, Ray Price, Ricky Van Shelton, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Statler Brothers, Vince Gill, Willie Nelson.

Click here for an organ arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q_G02X2Dj8&feature=related

Click here to listen to recording of this great hymn: www.simplyangel.com/theoldruggedcross.htm

No comments: