Monday, February 9, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday February 15, 2009


BLENDED SERVICE 9:30AM

"Still"…
the challenge of the Church is to keep worship accessible to all people - Rueben MorganRueben wrote the song "Still" as a reminder to "be still and know that I am God". Reuben has a passion to see the church and the world inspired to worship God. A worship pastor on the Hillsong church leadership team, Reuben works alongside
Darlene Zschech to create an atmosphere of praise and worship that draws
people into God’s presence and helps soften hearts to Jesus’ salvation message.
Reuben is an integral leader of the Hillsong church worship team, teaching often
at the Worship and Creative Arts program. Leading worship on a weekly basis at
Hillsong church, Reuben was the youth Music Pastor who helped to establish
‘Hillsong United’- currently one of the most sought after youth praise and worship
bands having appeared at Creation, Edmonton and Soul Survivor in 2003. He
was one of the major producers on four of the United albums including Everyday,
Best Friend, King Of Majesty and To The Ends Of The Earth. With a congregation
of over 15,000 people, Hillsong Church in Sydney, Australia is potentially the
nations largest local church with a TV program that reaches over 125 different
countries across the globe. Hillsong has been instrumental in

Click here to worship along with the Hillsong version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk8horRi3_E

Click here for another arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPtZRnQyzSM



"To God be the Glory"

Fanny Crosby.Fanny Crosby was prob­ab­ly the most pro­lif­ic hymn­ist in his­to­ry. Though blind­ed by an in­com­pe­tent doc­tor at six weeks of age, she wrote over 8,000 hymns. About her blind­ness, she said:"It seemed intend­ed by the bless­ed prov­i­dence of God that I should be blind all my life, and I thank him for the dis­pen­sa­tion. If per­fect earth­ly sight were of­fered me to­mor­row I would not ac­cept it. I might not have sung hymns to the praise of God if I had been dis­tract­ed by the beau­ti­ful and in­ter­est­ing things about me."

Click here for a newer arrangement by Tommy Walker:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlfNZiDV4A

Click here a more traditional arrangement of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymrZO1PZbU4



“I Worship You, Almighty God”

At the tender age of five, Sondra Corbett was already singing on stage with her father's country music band. Six years later, Sondra gave her heart to Jesus in a little Baptist church, opening up the floodgates of her feelings for the Lord. But it was not until, as a teenager, Sondra began attending Christ for the Nations Institute (CFNI) in Dallas, Texas, that God bestowed upon this Kentucky native the gift that would interweave her long-held love for music and devotion to Him. "I was desperate for God," Sondra explains. "I found out there was more of God through His Holy Spirit when I was in my teens."
Though she had joyfully witnessed her father's dramatic conversion experience when she was 16, Sondra had not spent the majority of her childhood in a Christian home. As a result, she had much to learn about the Christian walk.
During her first week at summer school, a pianist was needed and she quickly volunteered to fill the gap. Though she didn't know most of the worship songs, Sondra played by ear and quickly picked up the new tunes. Sondra was also soon playing with CFNI's traveling music ministry, Living Praise.
In the weeks of schooling and ministry that followed, she learned how to worship God, nurture her spiritual life and happily be submitted to the discipline of daily devotions.
"I was learning all of these new worship songs," she remembers, "and I would go over to the music room and have quiet time with the Lord while at the piano." It was during one such devotional time that one of the world's most widely sung praise songs was born.
"The Living Praise team was going to go out that next day and minister at a church. I went over to one of the rooms at the music building and started praying over that service, praying for the people that would be there and worshiping the Lord. I could feel him so close."
"I started singing and what came out of my mouth was, 'I worship you, Almighty God, there is none like you,' with the chords and all. I felt Him right there and that I was revealing the contents of my heart to Him."

Click here to read the story behind the song:
www.ccli.com/worshipresources/SongStories.cfm?itemID=12

I worship You, almighty GodThere is none like YouI worship You, O Prince of PeaceThat is what I love to doI give You praiseFor You are my righteousnessI worship You, Almighty GodThere is none like You

Click here for a piano arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=anpc8PhBkdM

Click here to listen online: www.imeem.com/iancom/music/MBUUEkIX/don_moen_i_worship_you_almighty_god/



"Blessed Be Your Name"

This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"
Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3

Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI

Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=



"It is Well"
Click here to read the story of how the song was written along with the rest of the story http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2003/09/it-is-well-with-my-soul.php

Click here to watch the Gaither video version with David Phelps
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPFVijGcLtI

Click here for more background information:
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_With_My_Soul

To listen to the song click here:
www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/i/t/i/itiswell.htm



CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM



“O Praise Him”
When David Crowder was attending Baylor University in Waco, Texas in the mid 90's, he learned that more than half of the 14,000 students enrolled in the college were not attending church. This was very disturbing to Crowder, and after many conversations with a friend of his, they decided to start a church that was college friendly. Thus, University Baptist Church was born. That was 1996. Today, almost a decade later, nearly 1,000 people, most of which are college students, are attending the church. Although David Crowder's music ministry has grown significantly since then, he can still be found leading worship there on many Sundays.Crowder deeply wanted to find a way to connect these college students to the heart of God, so he began writing songs that he hoped the students at his school could relate to. A band began to form, and a few years and some new members later, the current lineup came into being and they all commited themselves completely to the ministry.This song was written while David and his band were flying back from Atlanta to Waco. It was the sound of wind on a plane that stirred his soul to a phrase “All this for the King”. David took a pencil and a piece of paper and wrote the following lyrics:Turn your ear To Heaven and hear The noise inside The sound of angels awe The sound of angels songs And all this for a King We could join and sing 'All for Christ our King!' How constant How divine This song of ours will riseOh, how constant How divine This love of ours will rise Will rise... CHORUS: Oh praise Him! Oh praise Him! He is Holy! He is Holy!

Click here to listen to David share how the song came about:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2fbX4dRLO0&feature=related

Click here to worship along with David Crowder:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2qfCynlTVg



“How can I keep from Singing”

There is an endless song echoes in my soulI hear the music ring and though the storms may comeI am holding on to the rock I clingHow can I keep from singing Your praiseHow can I ever say enoughHow amazing is Your loveHow can I keep from shouting Your nameI know I am loved by the KingAnd it makes my heart want to sing Chris Tomlin joined Ed Cash and Matt Redman to write this song. The song is on the album "See the Morning". This song anchors the theme of hope found on the album. "How Can I Keep From Singing," is a rendition of the 1860 hymn by Robert Lowry. "How Can I Keep From Singing?" is listed in some hymnals by the opening line "My Life Flows On". The original composition has now entered into the public domain. The song is frequently cited incorrectly as a traditional Quaker hymn. Chris reworked the original text and crafted a song that could be sung to God during the difficult times.

Click here to listen to Chris share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lTZySpbpo

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI5wxtH6OY&feature=related



“Only You”

David Crowder wrote the song based upon a conversation he had with a friend. His friend was talking about how you can be eating dinner with a large group, but if your spouse is in the group you can catch her eye at the same time you are with other and there can be a moment when even in a crowd you are caught up together in that moment. There is a non-spoken language that happens. David thought to himself, what a picture of corporate worship. We can look at each other, but yet we can disappear alone with our maker. David said those thoughts spilled out and he wrote the song.

Click here to hear David share how he wrote the song:
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-234-OnlyYou-Crowder.mp3

Click here to worship along with David Crowder
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPs-2hn5ZOg


"I Surrender All"

This powerful hymn was written by Judson W. Van DeVenter in 1896. He wrote the following in his journal:
The song was writ­ten while I was con­duct­ing a meet­ing at East Pal­es­tine, Ohio, in the home of George Seb­ring (found­er of the Seb­ring Camp­meet­ing Bi­ble Con­fer­ence in Seb­ring, Ohio, and lat­er de­vel­op­er of the town of Seb­ring, Flor­i­da). For some time, I had strug­gled be­tween de­vel­op­ing my tal­ents in the field of art and go­ing into full-time evan­gel­is­tic work. At last the pi­vot­al hour of my life came, and I sur­ren­dered all. A new day was ushered in­to my life. I became an evang­el­ist and dis­cov­ered down deep in my soul a tal­ent hi­ther­to un­known to me. God had hid­den a song in my heart, and touch­ing a ten­der chord, He caused me to sing "I surrender all, I surrender all, all to Thee my blessed Savior, I surrender all"

Click here to hear Ce Ce Winan sing this hymn:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjsz6fRnsDc

Click here to hear the Isaacs sing the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOq7p3RTm5w

Click here to watch a very moving liturgical dance to the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-VnQShgRYs

Win­field S. Weed­en wrote the music. In 1896 Weeden pub­lished a num­ber of books of re­li­gious mu­sic, but this song must have been one of his fa­vo­rites: its ti­tle was on his tomb­stone.



THIRD 6PM

"Great and Mighty"

This song was written by Caedman's call. Caedmon's Call is a CCM band that fuses folk-rock with adult alternative rock influences. Cliff Young (vocals, rhythm guitar), Derek Webb (lead guitar, vocals), Danielle Glenn (vocals), Aric Nitzberg (bass), Todd Bragg (drums), Randy Holsapple (organ), and Garett Buell (percussion) formed the Houston, TX-based band at Texas Christian University in the summer of 1992. The group originally included Aaron Tate, who left the band shortly after its formation, but he continued to write songs with Young. After spending some time playing locally, Caedmon's Call began touring college campuses across the South, steadily building up a dedicated following of young Gen-X singles.

Hold my heart, O God, keep me ever in Your will There is joy within Your presence here and now But better will is the the day that is to come

When Your full glory is revealed I have long endured the trials of the age But I will say You are great and mighty God Robed in majesty You set us apart, You set us free When You captured out heartsYou are great and mighty So in You I will rejoice, make my life an offering I'm enraptured by the mercies of my King And I will sing I will sing Your praise, I will sing Your praise O name above all names I will count the days until I see Your face I will evermore proclaim

Click here for an interview of Caedmans' Call: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zewGGyRJ9k&feature=PlayList&p=D6F378CD96C97EB7&playnext=1&index=5

Click here to play online: www.rhapsody.com/caedmons-call/great-and-mighty


"Everlasting God"

Brenton Brown wrote this song after both he and his wife had being diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Brown described their illness in the following excerpt from Christianity today. Brown: It's called fibromyalgia, a form of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. What defines it are the symptoms, the most obvious ones [being] fatigue. You feel jet-lagged most of the time. There are other symptoms like nausea, muscle pain, muscle aches. There's no known cure. Basically it was just like waking up one day and finding out that I had someone else's body. Very strange. I wasn't thinking as clearly. And over the last three years we've basically had to relearn how to live life with our new bodies. It's been a challenge. Chronic Fatigue is a little bit like having mono[nucleosis]. You feel very fatigued, very drained. And no matter how much you sleep, you're still going to feel tired. You can never shake off that tired feeling. I just kept going for six months. And then my pastor, the board of our church and the group of doctors that I was seeing all decided, "This is not working. You're not going to be able to force your way through this." Brenton Brown, born in South Africa, is a Christian songwriter and worship leader. He left South Africa for Oxford, England in his early twenties on a Rhodes Scholarship. While studying politics, philosophy and theology he joined the Vineyard music (UK), serving as worship pastor at the Oxford Vineyard, UK, and eventually as coordinator of the Vineyard (UK) Worship Development Team. His songs, Lord Reign in me, All who are thirsty, Humble King, Hallelujah [Your love is amazing] and Holy were recorded on the popular Vineyard UK projects during this time. He has since left the UK and now lives in Malibu, California with his wife, Jude. Brenton is an artist on the worship label Survivor and in 2006 released his first solo album, Everlasting God with Survivor in the UK and rest of the world, and with Sparrow in the United States and Canada.

Check out Brenton’s ministry here:
www.brentonbrownmusic.com/

Click here to listen to him share about how the song came about
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePOcs88kqw

Click here to listen to Lincoln Brewsters' arrangement
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP2nz6PG8KM&mode=related&search=

Click here to listen to Brenton Brown & Paul Baloche
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLWwnVBuF8

"Beautiful"

I see Your face in every sunriseThe colors of the morning are inside Your eyes The world awakens in the light of the dayI look up to the sky and say You’re beautiful I see Your power in the moonlit night Where planets are in motion and galaxies are bright We are amazed in the light of the starsIt’s all proclaiming who You are You’re beautiful, You're beautiful I see you there hanging on a tree You bled and then you died and then you rose again for me Now you are sitting on Your heavenly throne Soon we will be coming homeYou’re beautiful, you're beautiful When we arrive at eternity’s shore Where death is just a memory and tears are no more We’ll enter in as the wedding bells ring Your bride will come together and we’ll singYou’re beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautifulI see Your face, You're beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautifulI see Your face, You're beautiful, You're beautiful, You're beautifulI see Your face, I see Your faceI see Your face, You’re beautiful, You’re beautiful, You’re beautiful

This song was written by Phil Wickham. In a world where swagger usually triumphs over substance, it’s refreshing when a young singer/songwriter arrives on the scene with something to say. With the multi-faceted sound of a much older soul and shimmering melodies that match the intensity of his heartfelt lyrics, 21-year-old Phil Wickham’s self-titled debut can’t help but stand out in a crowd of cookie-cutter pop and angst-fueled rock. And it’s his personal journey of faith expressed in the songs that really makes the difference.Even though singer/songwriter Phil Wickham grew up in a devout Christian home, there came a point early in his life when he knew his faith needed to become his own. He no longer wanted to coast on his parents’ coattails or go to church simply because that’s what he was supposed to do. He wanted something real, that personal friendship with Jesus. And that crucial realization, combined with moving to a new city while he was in junior high, paved the way for Phil to pick up a guitar and start writing songs about his growing faith.

Click here to worship along with Phil:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg4cYdP1ngw



"O Lord You're Beautiful"


Click here to read Keiths' extensive biography:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Green

Click here to see Keith as an eleven year old on "I've got a Secret"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=foHRDsFL260

Click here to listen online:
http://www.last.fm/music/Keith+Green/_/Oh+Lord,+You

Click here for an arrangement by Keith Green:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=irxIrnlD-Z4



“In Christ Alone”

This song was written by Keith Getty & Stuart Townend
Townend and Getty both admit they are motivated by the idea of capturing biblical truth in songs and hymns that will not only cause people to express their worship in church, but will build them up in their Christian lives. “I’ve been amazed by the response to this song,” says Townend. “We’ve had some incredible e-mails about how people have been helped by the song through incredibly difficult circumstances.” One e-mail described how a U.S soldier serving in Iraq would pray through each verse of the song every day, and how the promises of God’s protection and grace helped to sustain him through the enormous pressures and dangers of life in a war zone.

Click here to read more about how the song was composed
www.crosswalk.com/1275127/

Click here to worship along with the Newsboys
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8welVgKX8Qo

Click here to worship along with Natalie Grant
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9WbEn-Nj8&feature=related

No comments: