Monday, August 3, 2009

Behind the Praise - Sunday August 9, 2009




BLENDED 9:30AM


“Be Thou My Vision”

The text (Rop tú mo baile) is often attributed to Dallan Forgaill in the 8th century; in any case, this text had been a part of Irish monastic tradition for centuries before the hymn itself was written. It was translated from Old Irish into English by Mary E. Byrne in “Eriú," Journal of the School of Irish Learning, in 1905. The English text was first versified by Eleanor H. Hull in 1912, and this version of the lyrics is the most common. However, slight variations of these lyrics are sometimes seen. The first verse of Hull's version follows:

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.


Thus, the English translation of the hymn itself is fairly recent and the Elizabethan vocabulary and structure is somewhat an anachronism. Be Thou My Vision has become the quintessential Irish hymn in English-speaking churches and is often sung around St. Patrick's Day. Despite its traditional nature and the seemingly archaic quality of the text, Be Thou My Vision has become a popular song performed by Contemporary Christian musicians, such as Rebecca St. James and Ginny Owens.

Click here to read about the origin of the hymn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Be_Thou_My_Vision

Click here to listen to Rebecca St. James version
www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZ3ja-quhA

"The Potters Hand"

Beautiful Lord, Wonderful Saviour I know for sure,
all of my days are held in your hands,
crafted into your perfect plan
You gently call me into your presence guiding me by Your Holy Spirit
Teach me dear Lord to live all of my life through Your eyes
I'm captured by Your holy calling
Set me apart, I know you're drawing me to yourself
Lead me Lord I pray

Take me, Mold me, use me, fill me I give my life to the Potter's hand
Call me, guide me, lead me, walk beside me I give my life to the Potter's hand
You gentlly call me into your presence guidin me by your holy spirit
Teach me dear lord to live through your eyesi'm captured by you holy callingset me apart, I know your drawing me to yourselflead me lord I pray

Click here to listen to Darlene share about how the song came about:
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-213-ThePottersHand-Zschech.mp3

Click here for a stirring video presentation on the song:
www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=f3379a290325a14e3aea

Click here to worship along with the Hillsongs worship ministry:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aYvGE1MKeI

Click here for another version:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6beNoG0H0E0


"Blessed Be Your Name"


This powerful worship song by Matt Redman has a phrase that is based on Job 13:15. The Message translates it like this
"So hold your tongue while I have my say, then I'll take whatever I have coming to me.Why do I go out on a limb like this and take my life in my hands?Because even if he killed me, I'd keep on hoping. I'd defend my innocence to the very end. Just wait, this is going to work out for the best—my salvation!"

Click here to hear the story behind the song by Matt Redman.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-257-BlessedBeYourName-Redman.mp3


Click here to hear the song
www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6xo5KogzaI


Click here to worship along with Tree63
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZH9T9XNVU&mode=related&search=


"Have thine Own Way"


The words to this hymn of surrender were written by Adelaide A. Pollard in 1907.Pol­lard be­lieved the Lord want­ed her in Af­ri­ca as a mis­sion­a­ry, but she was un­a­ble to raise funds to go. In an un­cer­tain state of mind, she at­tend­ed a pray­er meet­ing, where she heard an el­der­ly wo­man pray, “It’s all right, Lord. It does­n’t mat­ter what You bring in­to our lives, just have Your own way with us.” At home that night, much en­cour­aged, she wrote this hymn.


Click here to listen to Jim Reeves (Gomer Pyles' version)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBOm6X1pUdI&feature=related


Click here for a gospel arrangement:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdy7pMnH7RU

CONTEMPORARY 11:00AM

"Sing to the King"

This song was written by Billy James Foote. The song is based upon the hymn by Charles S. Horne. Here are the original words penned in 1910. Notice the similarity between the Horne's words and Billy's adaptation of the song.

Sing we the King Who is coming to reign,
Glory to Jesus, the Lamb that was slain.
Life and salvation His empire shall bring,
Joy to the nations when Jesus is King.


Come let us sing, praise to our King,
Jesus our King, Jesus our King,
This is our song, who to Jesus belong:
Glory to Jesus, to Jesus our King.

In the summer of 2001, I was sitting in my office, in Evergreen, CO, reading through a Baptist Hymnal when I came across an old hymn called Sing We the King, written by Charles Silvester Horne. As I read the first verse I was amazed by the lyrics. There was not a wasted word. I had been working on a melody for several weeks, but did not have any lyrics. Horne’s first verse was a perfect match to the melody I had written. It did not take long to come up with a chorus. The second verse takes two phrases from Horne's last verse including, "satan is vanquished and Jesus is King". Of course, I have documented this on both of my worship projects and try to make sure everyone who records Sing to the King does the same.

My prayer is that this song will remind the church that the King really is coming back. It seems as though we have left this fact out of worship songs for too long. It is encouraging to be reminded that the enemy does not win (Rev. 20:10). We have a hope in the knowledge that the King is going to one day split the sky and the dead in Christ will rise, and believers, who are alive, will be caught up in the clouds to meet Him. I also pray this song will give the church a sense of urgency to win the lost; as Fanny Crosby said, to "rescue the perishing, care for the dying." We must not be idle, but live as those who know the King and know He is coming to reign.

Learn more about Billy's ministry on his myspace website & ministry website:
www.myspace.com/billyfooteband

Learn more about Billy's ministry here:
www.billyfoote.com/

Click here to worship along on the passion recording:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsrPfGmpPg&feature=related

“How can I keep from Singing”

There is an endless song echoes in my soulI hear the music ring and though the storms may comeI am holding on to the rock I clingHow can I keep from singing Your praiseHow can I ever say enoughHow amazing is Your loveHow can I keep from shouting Your nameI know I am loved by the KingAnd it makes my heart want to sing Chris Tomlin joined Ed Cash and Matt Redman to write this song. The song is on the album "See the Morning". This song anchors the theme of hope found on the album. "How Can I Keep From Singing," is a rendition of the 1860 hymn by Robert Lowry. "How Can I Keep From Singing?" is listed in some hymnals by the opening line "My Life Flows On". The original composition has now entered into the public domain. The song is frequently cited incorrectly as a traditional Quaker hymn. Chris reworked the original text and crafted a song that could be sung to God during the difficult times.

Click here to listen to Chris share how he wrote the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6lTZySpbpo

Click here to worship along with Chris:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQI5wxtH6OY&feature=related

“Here I Am to Worship”

If songs are like children to their writers, then 25 year-old Englishman Tim Hughes carried "Here I Am To Worship" to full term, letting the reverent tune take perfect shape over a nine-month period. Back in 1999 while still in college, he first sat down to craft a musical response to his reading of Philippians 2:5, which says, "Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus." And from the start, he had the humility part mastered. "I was playing around with my guitar when the verse just came out," he modestly recalls. "However, I couldn't get a chorus that I was happy with. The original one was embarrassingly bad!" Thankfully, Tim recorded the verse into his Dictaphone, and months later during a quiet creative time, he patched it together with another strong melody idea and brought "Here I Am To Worship" to fruition. "I'd been reading about the cross and thinking through Jesus' amazing sacrifice," Tim says of the lyrical theme. "Sometimes when God meets with us we don't quite know how to respond properly. It's often too much for us to take in. Hopefully in a small way the chorus captures that: 'Here I am to worship. Here I am to bow down. Here I am to say that you're my God. You're altogether lovely, worthy, wonderful.'" Although the song had been completed, the writer was still not convinced of its potential. Leading worship at his Soul Survivor home church one day, Tim sang "Here I Am To Worship" for his fellow members and was duly advised by his pastor Mike Pilavachi to start using it more often. Since then, Hughes - who built his own chops leading Delirious and Matt Redman favorites - has seen the song take on a life of its own. It must be a God thing.... People have seemed to really connect with it, and we've had some special times in worship using the song," he admits. "I remember one time at the end of a Worship Together conference in San Diego when we'd been performing the song. The band stopped, and then the congregation just kept singing the chorus for about 15 minutes."

Click here to listen to the story behind the song by Tim Hughes.
www.theheartofworship.org/stories/Story-196-HereIAmtoWorship-Hughes.mp3

Click here to worship along with Michael W. Smith:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_kAjok4-Uk

Click here to read more about the composer Tim Hughes
www.crosswalk.com/spirituallife/worship/1227531/

“We Fall Down”

Chris Tomlin wrote this song. Tomlin had been traveling and leading worship since he was 19, but it was in 1997, two years after he graduated from Texas A&M that he found himself at a camp with new friend Louie Giglio. Giglio would go on to start the Passion movement that would eventually give Chris and his songs a national platform, but that week he was teaching to a crowd of about 1,500 on Revelation chapter 4 while Chris helped out leading worship. As he listened to the nightly messages, something about the passage struck a chord with the young songwriter.
“Every night he would teach on a different aspect of this chapter and I was so moved by it,” Tomlin recalls. “It was a revelation to John of what was going on around the throne of God and it said these living creatures … day and night they never stop saying, ‘holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come.’ Then it said the 24 elders, they continually fall down and lay their crowns before the throne of God and worship Him and they sing that song that begins with worthy is the lamb. I was hearing that each night and was just blown away by the thought that they never cease … and that must be an amazing sight.”
Tomlin was so moved by that image that he found himself sitting on the edge of the bed in his hotel room, guitar in hand, composing a song. When he was finished, he took the tune that he calls “just a little simple song” to Giglio’s room for some instant feedback.
“I remember playing it for him in his room and waiting for a response to see if he liked it, and he said, ‘the whole world’s gonna sing that song.’” A surprised Tomlin recalls. “I was like, ‘What?’ I’d never had hardly anybody sing my songs. I kind of didn’t believe him.”
While still skeptical, Tomlin obliged Giglio when he asked for a copy of the song to take back home with him. Little did he know, his friend’s prediction would come true sooner than he could imagine. It was at the first Passion event in Austin, Texas that same year that Tomlin got his first inkling of just how special “We Fall Down” was. Chris was leading a small community group at the event when he walked into the main gathering and heard a familiar melody on the piano.
“All the sudden they started leading ‘We Fall Down’ in this arena of people,” Tomlin recalls. It was the first time he’d heard a song of his sung by a group when he wasn’t leading it and it blew him away. “All these people were singing it, and it was a very humbling, honoring experience.” It also gave him the confirmation he needed to continue on his chosen path. “I was definitely encouraged by the Lord that He’s given me a gift to write songs for the church to sing.”

Click here to worship along with Chris Tomlin:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=34yPZiD8OMs

Click here to listen online:
www.last.fm/music/Chris+Tomlin/_/We+Fall+Down

We fall downWe lay our crowns
At the feet of Jesus
The greatness of Your Mercy and love
At the feet of Jesus

And we cry holy, holy, holy
And we cry holy, holy, holy
And we cry holy, holy, holy
Is the lamb


No comments: